• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hugo Award 2004

Yobmod

Hi everyone,

Hugo awards results are now out. The novel shortlist is below:

Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold (Eos) - Winner
Humans by Robert Sawyer (Tor Books)
Ilium by Dan Simmons (Eos)
Singularity Sky by Charles Stross (Ace Books)
Blind Lake by Robert Charles Wilson (Tor Books)

Guess it's not too controversial. I like Bujold and Simmons so am glad one of them won, but ive yet to read the novels nominated here.
They've both won hugo's for novels before tho (1 for simmons & 5 for Bujold!) as has Sawyer. They don't seem too keen on newer writers.

Paladin of Souls is fantasy isn't it? Unusual for a hugo to go to a book like this, i think.

Any opinions out there? On the books or award in general ;)

I haven't read Paladin of Souls yet, but I've read the prequel (Curse of Chalion). It was better than average, but not award material, so it'll be interesting reading PoS to see if there's a big improvement. Yes it is fantasy, by the way. It'll have to be damn good to beat Ilium which was fantastic.

Illium is on my shelf - i've heard that it isn't a book that stands alone (i know it's one of 2, but sometimes you can read the first as a standalone.)
So i'm waiting for Olympus.

If it's near as good as hyperion it deserved to win something, but until i've read it's competitors i'll reserve judjement.

I'll admit i'm glad that Robert Sawyer didn't win, he's not my cup of tea.
The premise of singularity Sky sounds intriguing, i'll have to bump it up my TBR list.

Bump it up for Charles Stross

Sing Sky is a wonderful book; Stross is strong writer and will get more nominations. Wouldn't expect him to win a Hugo for first novel. Glad to see he made the short list!

Just remembered there were Retro hugos too. For 1954 books?

Farenheit 451 by R Bradbury won best novel
A Case of Conscience by J Blish won best novella
Earthman, Come Home by J Blish won best novellette

This is a nicer list, cos i've read them all :D

Farenheit 451 is very good, and if not the best book that year, it's at least one of the most influential and well remembered.

A Case of conscience was OK. It has a very similar premise as The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell which also won loads of awards, and i think is better.

Earthman come home was part of Cities in Flight in the SF masterworks, but i can't remember which part. The series as a whole was good tho, a bit slow.

Back