• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hung: Exploring The Black Sexual Myth

dre30012000

The book is by Joel Pulson Bryant and in it he explores the myth of black men being well endowed. The orgins of the myth, is it true, and the damages of the myth. Anybody else read it

I haven't read it, but I'm interested in what he has to say. My guess is that he confirms the fact that black men are just naturally blessed with an incredibly large penis.

Actually that is not the way he goes

He more examines the history behind it. How it is a good sterotype for black men but born out of racism. The one thing i would have liked for him to get was women's opinon on the subject which he did not do

I take it this is the book you're talking about. While it is certainly a bizarre topic to write about, the book itself is really more about disguised racism and cultural perceptions and how most people confuse them with fact. When I first read your post the topic sounded familiar (how many people really write about penis size), so I looked it up. I actually received an email about this book from a professor late this fall. My educational background is Urban American History from the progressive era on. Topics like this actually fall into that area (believe it or not).

dre30012000 said:
The book is by Joel Pulson Bryant and in it he explores the myth of black men being well endowed. The orgins of the myth, is it true, and the damages of the myth. Anybody else read it

I do like this trend of openly discussing and exposing racial and sexual myths and stereotypes. Let's throw the door wide and air the place out for God's sake.

And it's about time in my estimation. But, to answer your question, no, I haven't read it. Yet.

If you've look at 'noted' health or fitness mags, you'll probably have found interesting things about penis sizes of people of different ethnicity. And the sizes of women's vaginas from these ethnicity differences apparently correspond with these alleged average penis sizes.

Gosh, I can hardly believe I wrote all of that. Don't think that's what's meant by going beyond your comfort zone.

ds

direstraits said:
If you've look at 'noted' health or fitness mags, you'll probably have found interesting things about penis sizes of people of different ethnicity. And the sizes of women's vaginas from these ethnicity differences apparently correspond with these alleged average penis sizes.

Gosh, I can hardly believe I wrote all of that. Don't think that's what's meant by going beyond your comfort zone.

ds

You've got me laughing, ds!

Sexual Myths

i think it is time to begin to talk openly about these sexual myths. I am a black man but i still dont like the the sterotype, i think it breeds racism. To me if black men have natural big penises then why cant we be naturally inferior to whites

dre30012000 said:
I am a black man but i still dont like the the sterotype, i think it breeds racism.

It isn't so much that it breeds racism (it does, but that isn't really the point of this book as far as I know). It's far more that it is born out of racism. The myth stems from the colonial idea that people of african descent are closely related to gorillas. This is also why they were commonly given ape-like features in early american political cartoons.

Response

I was not talking about the book. I was talking about the myth itself. The book just gives the orgin of what and what it does to society at large

mehastings said:
It isn't so much that it breeds racism (it does, but that isn't really the point of this book as far as I know). It's far more that it is born out of racism. The myth stems from the colonial idea that people of african descent are closely related to gorillas. This is also why they were commonly given ape-like features in early american political cartoons.

dre30012000 said:
I was not talking about the book. I was talking about the myth itself. The book just gives the orgin of what and what it does to society at large

That is understandable, however, discussion of this topic is appropriate in that we are discussing a book. Removing the book from the conversation really isn't appropriate for this type of forum.

Back