• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hungarian author wins Nobel prize

Darren

Hungarian author Imre Kertesz, whose works often focus on his experiences in Nazi concentration camps, has been awarded the 2002 Nobel Prize for Literature.

Read the full story at BBC News Online

What I like about prize lists is that they often introduce to me a previously unheard of author. I shall now look into reading this man's work.

As an aside, I was amused to read that Kertesz intends to go on a spending spree with his Nobel Prize money. At the age of 76, and having had such experiences as he has, I guess that's fair enough! (although I do secretly hope that he donates a little to something worthwhile)

Dawn said:
A spending spree! Good for him. How much money do Nobel Prize winners get?

According to the link above:

The award, worth 10 million Swedish kronor (£690,000) will be presented to Kertesz by Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf, at a ceremony in Stockholm on 10 December.

Oops! Sorry. Did not think to note the date of the post. Apologies!

Post in haste; repent at leisure.

690,000.00 GBP (United Kingdom Pounds) = 1,236,623.15 USD

This is interesting:

Some of the greatest names in literature - Tolstoy, Proust, Hardy, Chekhov, Ibsen, James Joyce, Joseph Conrad, Kafka, Brecht, to name just some - have missed out on the prize.

Back