• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I Capture the Castle and other teenage fiction...

little_t

Hello people

Just wondering if anyone could suggest what reading age this book would suit? I need to buy a birthday present for my goddaughter - just turned 11, but incredibly bright. I'm an avid reader and always have been... but wish i could remember what I'd read and loved at her age! Goodnight Mr Tom? Tom's Midnight Garden? The Wolves of Willoughby Chase? Any of these appropriate?!! I know she's recently read (and loved) When Hitler stole Pink Rabbit and she's not very fond of magic/fantasy. If anyone could comment, I'd be so grateful! Thanks.

My daughter is 11. She read I captured the castle a few months ago and she really liked it. She also enjoyed The Number Devil by Hans Magnus Enzensburger -even though she hated maths - and Starseeker by Tim Robbins. I am not so sure about the last one. You say your goddaughter is bright, but it depends on how mature she is and what her parents allow her to read. There is a boy bullied by a gang of school thugs that beat him up and force him to break into a house.

I am sorry if I cannot be more helpful. My daughter prefers fantasy, so I could not recommend many books.

I was reading Stephen King when I was about eleven, so I guess I can't help much. But I think I have read 'I Capture The Castle' and enjoyed it, but that might have been a different book.

Try His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, as I think they're suitable for adults and children, and are riveting fantasy adventure stories.

[Edit] Well actually you can ignore my last suggestion, as I'm tired and didn't realise that you'd said she wasn't too keen on fantasy.

well, i suppose it depends on her reading level

but i would suggest watership down, it is engrossing, exciting, has no wizards or elves, is good on a lot of levels, kids can read it as an adventure, adults get more allegory out of it, and depending where the kid is, she can get something out of it no matter what...it is a great book...i read it for the first time around 11, loved it and still read it now

http://www.booksxyz.com/profile.php?bid=411814&x1=Y

When I was a kid (cannot remember what age I was, so some of these suggestions might be a bit young) I enjoyed books such as: Tarka The Otter, Black Beauty, Little Women and loved Tom's Midnight Garden. I also enjoyed The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Back