• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

'... I don't get it!'

Freya

[Apologies if there's already a thread asking this, there's only so much delving into the archives one can do...]

You know when everyone's banging on about a book. And you just can't see the attraction?

Declare that book, and don't apologise. Voice your feelings! The book that everyone you talk to loves, and you, frankly, hate.

I will start with a whole author... Isabel Allende. Utter rubbish. Do not see the appeal. Not my bag, baby. If the photo of her in the front cover wasn't enough to put you off, the meh meh meh writing is.

(What? Meh hasn't been added to the dictionary? Screw you.)

Freya said:
(What? Meh hasn't been added to the dictionary? Screw you.)
That's awesome!

I have one. I get creeped out by "Beloved" by Toni Morrison. The whole thing makes me feel like I've been stuck in a root cellar for weeks with only my own sweat to drink.

:eek: Why do I instantly feel the need to apologize?

graydaisy said:
I have one. I get creeped out by "Beloved" by Toni Morrison. The whole thing makes me feel like I've been stuck in a root cellar for weeks with only my own sweat to drink.

That's so odd, I'm reading that book right now. lol

that's very odd.

how far into it are you, and does it make you feel like bugs are crawling all over you?

Just about fourty pages. It's a little confusing at times and once or twice I had to go back and read the page over to fully understand it (I'm dyslexic, cut me some slack! Lol) but other than that I like it. No creepy feelings here! :)

Yet. :D

I hate Steinbeck. I'm sorry, I just think his writing is super boring. I'll never forget the two months my sophomore english class spent trudging through The Grapes of Wrath.
I have read The Grapes of Wrath, The Red Pony, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl and Tortilla Flat.

Tortilla Flat was fair, but the rest of them were like reading sawdust.

OK, stone me!

bobbyburns said:
what do you mean by that?

I just think his books are really not interesting at all. I don't know what it is, I've obviously given him quite a few chances to enthrall me, but it just hasn't happened.

I've never seen the draw to Hemingway. We read a couple of his stories in my English Comp class when I was a senior in high school. I found them extremely depressing. There was another story we read in that class, by another author-The Shelf- I think. It's been a LONG time ago so I could be wrong about the title, but it was morbid too. Seems like that was a common them to most of what we read that semester. I wonder how much of the creep-out factor I felt was from the material or from what was going on in my life during that time. My grandfather and a greatuncle both died on my 18th biirthday in March. then I got sick over spring break and still missed a week or so of school. In April my great aunt was struck by a car and killed, and then in May, my uncle died of lung cancer.. So.. I wonder if maybe my dislike for these works was a matter of bad timing or if they were just bad writing..

Never liked the Bronte sisters. I find their writing such a bore or melodramatic. Though I think Woolf is a great intellectual and groundbreaking writer of her time, but it seems if one reads one of her fiction, one has read all. I prefer her nonfiction.

Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown......you don't know how sick I am of seeing this guy all over the best sellers lists lol. I just don't get it!!!! ;) OK I am going to get one of his books from the library just to see what all the fuss is about. I'm sure I won't like it though. ;)

nice to see my favorite girl is back :)

lets see, from top of my head
sophies choice -> boring
the unbearable lightness of being -> unbearable
morris west -> the books are actually good, but there is no ending :mad:
carlos cuatemoc sanchez -> those books are full of moralist bullshit
stephen king -> anything he has wroten on the last 15 years of so

jaycee said:
Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown......you don't know how sick I am of seeing this guy all over the best sellers lists lol. I just don't get it!!!! ;) OK I am going to get one of his books from the library just to see what all the fuss is about. I'm sure I won't like it though. ;)

this is what i don't get, and jaycee i'm not slamming you :) , i've just heard this so many times before. not about dan brown specifically, but just people being turned off a book because of it being super saturated in the media. yes it's over kill, but what if you read it and loved it? how can anyone offer an opinion on something they haven't read?

i have read it. i don't get the media attention either, but that is another thread.

I didn't like The DaVinci Code either, but I'm glad I read it. Since so many people ARE reading it and talking about it, I wanted to be able to discuss it with some intelligence. Maybe sometimes it IS right to read something because "everybody" else is.. :cool:

Catcher in the Rye ... it meanders around going nowhere in particular, and then .. it stops.

Erm .... was there a story somewhere in that book?? Bored me to tears, I spent about two hundred pages waiting for something to happen .. maybe the book shop only sold me half a book or something :D

Phil

I agree with those who listed The Davinci Code, and in my opiniuon Dan Brown in general. It's like the idiot's coloring book edition of Focault's Pendulum.

But that's just me:)

phil_t said:
Catcher in the Rye ... it meanders around going nowhere in particular, and then .. it stops.

Erm .... was there a story somewhere in that book?? Bored me to tears, I spent about two hundred pages waiting for something to happen .. maybe the book shop only sold me half a book or something :D

Phil
I so agree with you phil.
I was annoyed by the language of the book. The wordy 'phony' appears some 100 times in each page. It kept getting on my nerves!
Thats one book I absolutely dislike.

Back