• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

i need help finding a book!

miri122333

kickbox
:confused: hi, i need help finding a book i read a few years ago. i forgot the title and the author's name. it was a children's historical fiction book. anyway, it took place in america, 18th century, and it was about a 14 year old girl, mattie (matilda anne harris, i think her name was), and she got a recommendation letter from her teacher at school to go to a special writing school for the summer. her mother thought that girls shouldn't know how to write, so she doesn't let her go. so, mattie's older brother helps her run away. the founder/owner/teacher of the class was platt rogers spencer, and he had a big family. he let mattie stay in his house, since all the other students lived nearby. mattie was the only girl in the class, and some boys made fun of her, but she made friends with one names phineas. the rest of the book was about her summer at the school. (platt rogers spencer and matilda anne harris were real people, but matilda anne harris might not be mattie's name. i'm not sure cuz i found a poem i wrote down from that book. i don't know if these 2 real people are connected in any way.) i hope u can find this book! i've looked in all kinds of searches! some key words: pen, writing, you know, things that relate to those words. i loved that book so much!!! if u find it, plz tell me! (i'm new to this, so i don't know how, but plz do!) thx!

I think you are looking for A Pebble and a Pen by Joan Donaldson.

"In this novel set in the 1850s, a 14-year-old girl named Matty escapes the fate of an arranged marriage in order to pursue her dream of becoming a calligrapher. Matty manages to secure an apprenticeship with a master calligrapher named Platt Rogers Spencer, but becoming a calligrapher is much harder work than she ever imagined. To make matters worse, most of the other apprentices are boys who snub Matty and refuse to take her seriously simply because she is female."

omg!!!!! ty, ty, ty!!!!!!! i got the year wrong, but i finally know the title!!!!! i'm SO happy!!!!! i can't tell u how relieved i am! well, now i'm gonna see if they have it at the public library! have i mentioned ty??

Back