• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I need some recommendation please!!

Kintoke

Well, after spendig more than a year reading just the dune saga, I was wandering what more the market can offerd. I loooove the dune saga (by frank herbert, and the new ones, by his son), I dunno, I loved the way that conspiracy was made, the universe, etc..is sooo rich. For me, it is the best saga ever, but now, that I finished all the dune books, I need something GOOD to read. Something (in scifi) intelligent like dune, something that make my imagination flyes in futuristics world with intelligente conspiracy and plot.... so, what you people can you recomend me to read?..maybe an excelent saga is out there even better than dune?...

thank you very much.:)

I recently read The Golden Age by John C. Wright, which was good. That is an elaborate story set in the far future where almost everything occurs in a kind of dream space. At the beginning of the story, the main character Phaethon discovers that he has committed a crime that he doesn't remember. Parts of his memory have been redacted (removed and set aside) and he is shortly informed that he will be exiled if he accesses those memories. Most of the rest of the first book concerns his attempts to find out about his past without directly opening those memories.

The second book has just been published and is called The Phoenix Exultant. I haven't bought it yet--I haven't seen it at my usual bookstore--but I plan to read it in the future. As I understand it, it is to be a 3-book series. There are obviously many differences between this and the Dune series (I am a little familiar with Dune, although I haven't read it), but you might like it.

More seriously:
Just a few questions:
-have you read the Butlerian Jihad as well? Very good read, better than the preparatory trilogy perhaps...
-which preferred one on the Dune series? My ultimate top is Dune Messiah
-Which preferred character? Duncan Idaho for me. Leto II is quite fascinating as well.

Morry :D ;)

Ye I did

I had read all the presequel of dune (the houses), but not the butlerian jihad, because I live in chile, so it takes time to see a book in my languaje (spanish).

My favorite caracter is Leto II...is amazing and about the "best" book in the serie, I can tell that Children of dune is by far my best.

Well..Can you recomend me a scifi saga, like dune, so intelligent and facinating?

thanks

Hiyah, o bien ola, supongo,

Apologies for delays.... real life catching up with me.
Now as far as a continuation, I tried several stuff, and almost always ended up disappointed by the lack of depths of the other sagas I was finding.

In brief I tried:
Dragons of Pern, McCaffrey ... well yeah as I've put somewhere else (do not read if for a try) the whole series ends up in being too softly feminist.
There was also a series by W. Vance, exploiting themes of conspiracy in a celtic world (i cannot remember the name now, and anyway might be meaningless for I read it in French initially). Again like the Pern thingy, quite softy and lacking depth and in my view quite soiled by a gendered reductionism on women and their psychology.
In much better though it never stuck me to my chair as Dune did are the Swords and Wizzadry Chronicles (probably misspell the title) by F. Leiber. At least you have villains who are good blokes and good blokes who are completely perverted and evil at times.
What fascinated me in Dune is partly the mixing up of gender and the impossibility to expect easily a certain behaviour from a character. Paul in between man and woman as a foreseeer, and a man in Dune Messiah. Same with Chani: sweet fragile woman and fierce conspirator if needed. Ghanima alike her mum yet departing by being more a woman. Duncan Idaho is the most fascinating in this: just a servant to the dice that is being thrown as the tool for eciding the fate of the whole universe?

Best as always,

Morry:D ;)

In answer to the topic question...

I strongly suggest reading either Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, or Perdido Street Station by China Miéville. Both are excellent books, so look them up on amazon.com

Back