• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

i want to speed my reading

Neo80

i'm a bit slow in my reading.
it might take me a whole month to finish one book, it not
always the case, when i read a book by Tom Clancy
or Michael Crichton i could finished it in two days
but a book by Robert Ludlum for example take a much
longer time.
i don't knew how to speed my reading, any ideas

If some books are taking you ages, then maybe they're ones you don't like or can't get interested in. If you can finish a thick Tom Clancy in a couple of days, you can't be that slow a reader :)

speed reading

I tried to do that speed reading, but you just miss out on so much of the book. I know it doesn't take me long to read a Stephen King novel, but if I an older book or a book by a foreign author, my read speed slows greatly. I guess it just depends on the book and the interest in it.

Read down the middle of the page. You can usually pick up the gist of story from the context.

(Offers grain of salt)

i don't know how to speed my reading, any ideas
What helps me:
Remember that you read in phrases, even if you're not aware of it (ie. few people read, "one" - "word" - "at" - "a" - "time"). The eye takes in groups of words, naturally.

Therefore, when you look at a line of text, don't look directly at the first or last word in the line, but aim your eye at phrases or 'chunks' of words. For example the 2nd or 3rd word, mid-line, then the 2nd or 3rd word from the end of the line. With a little concentration and practice you'll be amazed that you actually read all the words without focussing on each one individually. This has helped speed up my reading enormously without losing vital details.

Of course, if I come across a significant or beautifully written sentence, I'll deliberately slow down and savour each and every word! :D

Probably the best thing is to just to experiment and try and read a book as quickly as possible. It doesn't matter if you don't obtain the right information, go back and try again.

Why would you want to rush a book? Who cares if it takes you a month to finish a book?

The idea is to enjoy what you are reading, and to lose yourself in the story. If you are doing this, then don't worry about it. As long as you are reading you are learning, and expanding your mind.

Just enjoy the experience.

Why would you want to rush a book? Who cares if it takes you a month to finish a book?
It's not about rushing a book - but finishing so I can start another! :D :D

But seriously, there is a happy medium whereby you can read a bit faster and not lose the enjoyment and details.

Do You Speed Read?

Are you a speed reader?

If so, declare it here! :D

How many books do you go through in any given month?
What reading technique works best for you?
_

I am not speed reader!! I am taking time to read and not rush. It helps me absorb the story from the book.

I consider myself quite a slow reader, i like to take a while to get through books (having said that i can breeze through them in a day if i like them enough) - my girlfriend on the other hand rarely takes more than a few hours to read a book :D

depends on so many things such as the mood I'm in, the story, the text size, where I am when reading and so on.

If conditions are good I would read about 100 pages per hour...not sure that's classed as speed reading though.

I don't 'speed read' in the sense of scanning each line for keywords, I prefer to read every word on every page.

Mxx

Speed Reading books I have read always specify that in order to increase your reading speed, you must not vocalize the words in her head.

Instead you must understand a group of words (phrase) as you move your eyes from the top of the page to the bottom.

How in the world can you not vocalize words in your mind as you read?
_

Usually no, I don't speed read. If I find a good book that I want to get everything out of, I'll take my time and spend however long I need to on it, but if it's not something interesting or if I'm in a hurry, then I can be done with it fairly quickly.

I know what you mean. I'm currently trying to speed up my reading, not so I am rushing through it, but so that I can read the next book I have lined up sooner. I see new books I wanna read much quicker than I finish the books I'm currently reading. Using your fingers to underline the words works suprisingly well for jumping your reading speed by about 100 words per minute. That way your mind is forced to follow a steady rythem and doesn't wander off so easily. And for those of you that say they'd rather take their time and enjoy the book, I've read many places that the quicker you read the more you get out of a book. People who read slower than their minds can think tend to lost concentration and think about other things. I've also heard people who read very fast actually don't hear the words but sort of see whats happening, or you read just fast enough so that your mind. I can't defend that personally but I'm working on it! If you really wanna pick up your speed try looking on amazon for a speed reading program/book that has really good reviews!

I discoverd a list of solid reviews for the book, Breakthrough Rapid Reading by Peter Kump: Linkage

If you have read this book, please post your personal review.

Thanks!

In my view, I fully understand and support the view that enjoying a book slowly is truly the best. Now, how about achieving that same level of enjoyment by applying techniques that speed up the reading? Think if it this way: You can enjoy more books in less time. Would not that be the better option? Speed reading can be a blessing to the avid book lover.

I just think that speed reading would take away from the book. My goal when reading is to fully enjoy and understand the book, not finish it. Books I don't like I actually get through faster for this reason.

I speed read and can get through 7 or 8 books in an average month.

However, I also really enjoy re-reading books and tend to tackle them slower the second time round. It means I get the joy of discovery about a book twice - once, the fact that it actually exists and the essence of the story and secondly, all those small details that are lost the first time through.

Speed reading?! The only thing I can think that would be useful for is when you're faced with a huge pile of academic work to sift through for a project or something... but speed reading for your own enjoyment? I don't get it. Surely you just read at the pace that suits you... you wouldnt get a film and put it on fast forward and attempt to understand it that way would you? :)

I'm quite a fast reader, but wouldn't class it as speed reading (as I read every word) - I can easily read 100+ pages an hour though (obviously depending on text size etc) The only books I truly speed read (ie scan through to pick up the relevant points) are Academic texts and Reference books :)

Back