• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I would LOVE to know what you think.

at0k

Hi there! I've had this basic idea bumping around in my head for a while now, and I finally got around to slamming out the initial idea for it... and I thought I'd post, see what everyone thinks about it. Now, a bit of a warning; it's dark. Not woe-is-me kind of dark, but... well, read it, and you'll see what I mean...

I would LOVE feedback, and thank you SO MUCH in advance!

All my life, I’ve been a solider. I can remember my eleventh birthday; no birthday cake, no balloons, no friends. Just my mother, sitting beside my bed, smelling like fire and blood, a fresh bruise creeping up the side of her narrow, drawn face, an old sandalwood gripped pistol in one hand. She touched my hair, a rare gesture of affection so startling it scared me, and told me I had hair like my father. This was not meant as a compliment, not meant to show endearment towards me. I knew who my father was.

“Like coal, like nighttime.” I remembered her whisper, her callused, ragged nailed fingers against my forehead, and I had turned my head to hide the tears of shame and hate. “You are not your father.” she said a moment later, as though she was just realizing. “You don’t have to be your father.” she took her hand away, and it was both a relief and another slight. She looked at the gun in her hand. “This was my father’s.” she told me. “He was a great man.” she studied me with her pale gray eyes, which I’d inherited, and asked, “Do you know what makes a man great, Deacon?”

“No, ma’am.” I whispered, scared and fascinated by her. My mother, the warrior, the freedom fighter, the murderer. I’d heard her named all those things.

“Fear.” she said. “And the strength to go on in the face of it. Do you understand?”

I thought I did. I thought I knew what fear felt like; hadn’t I always been afraid? Afraid not of monsters under my bed or failing a math test, because I’d never taken a math test and I‘d never slept in a real bed before. No, not afraid of those things, not afraid of child’s things, but afraid of real grown up things. Afraid of getting shot in the stomach, because I’d seen the way a gut shot kills, and I could imagine only death I’d like less; fire. Terrified of fire, because I’d watched the children I’d been raised with, all seven of them, as they pounding on glass that melted against their fists from the flames. I saw the way their hair caught, the way they seemed to wither like crops during a drought. Afraid of being caught asleep, so I never slept well, never let myself, horrified that I would wake one night to the barrel of a rifle a moment before it flashed and splattered my brains all over my flat, scratchy pillow. They never minded killing children. But afraid, more than anything, of failing her. Of letting her down. Of showing her weakness.

“Yes, ma’am.” I told her softly, clutching the blankets in both hands until my knuckles were white.

She sighed and looked away from me. “You are eleven today.” she told me. “Eleven years I’ve carried you. I will carry you no more.” she turned her eyes back to me and held out the pistol. “Your life is no longer my concern. You are not yet a man, but in this world, you cannot afford to be a child. It’s time to put that behind you.”

I took the gun, even though I didn’t want to, even though it scared me, and the weight of it was amazing. Her words didn’t hurt me, like I thought that might, didn’t scare me. They made me angry. When had I been a child? The towns we passed through, the cities we sometimes saw, were full of boys my age, going to school, riding bikes, playing at war in their fenced in backyards with their cute purebred puppies and their sweet, smiling mothers.

I had a dog, a shaggy haired mutt with half of his left ear gone and the fur around his mouth permanently stained a rusty brown. He didn’t have a name, and knew only one trick; kill. I had a mother, but she rarely smiled and was never sweet. I’d never ridden a bike, but I could disassemble, clean, reassemble and load a . I’d never gone to school, but I’d had plenty of teachers. Not science but tactics, not math but survival.

I said nothing. There was nothing to say. I took the gun, and she stared at me, waiting for something that I couldn’t even begin to understand. Then she stood and disappeared out the tent flap, and I was alone. I realized then, laying there with the cold seeping through my sleeping bag, the pistol laying on my chest, that I’d always been that way.

Six weeks later, my mother killed herself. It didn’t hurt at all.

... so? What do you think? Like I said, dark, yes? *shrugs* There a vague idea of a plot going on in my head, but this little scene was seriously clawing away up there.

don't like it

After the first paragraph I got bored and skimmed through the rest of the text;

- a scene between a mother and son ( who apparently don't think much of each other or themselves ) and a man whose no longer there doesn't interest me;

You open the story with something that seems more like it belongs somewhere in the middle. But hey; that's my two cents.

I was intrigued by the first paragraph and read your post to the end. It seems very well written to me and I like the introspection, wondering where such a story might end up. Dark, yes, but that didn't bother me; I don't mind hard-boiled. The characters had definite personality, which you were able to describe clearly and economically. So it sounds like accomplished writing to me. I would say: keep on!
Typos: "solider" for "soldier"
"laying" for "lying" (I think)

Two Thumbs Up

at0k,
Your segment is brilliant. I was moved, appalled, and totally drawn into the story. You've managed to paint an evocative portrait of this mother and child, like no other mother and child I have read about. The clues are well done.
Yes, it's dark, but not overly so to my eye.

Keep Writing! I'll be looking for more of this story. :star5:

I'm not sure why it did that... there was a whole half a sentence there... and it was there when I skimmed through it before I posted... :confused:

This is a good start. You bring the reader right into the scene, and leave enough mystery about the father to make the reader wonder. You didn't ask for detailed critique, and I realize this is first draft, but it needs some polishing.

The main thing is, you started writing it and as the proverb goes, the longest journey begins with the first pratfall.

Take care,

JohnB

I think this has a lot of potential. It kind of has a futuristic feel to it that made me think of the movie Equilibrium and the book 1984. It's almost as if it has a crumbling society effect; with the children soldiers and murdering of them. I found it pretty interesting and would like to see how this story developes.

Back