• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

IDIOSYNCRASY:Manning Clark's History of Australia

RonPrice

Perhaps I will get around to reading Manning Clark's History of Australia: Volumes 1-6 in the latter years of my latter years. It is still too much for me, too detailed an account for someone like me who likes a general picture and has so much that he wants to read from an immensely burgeoning world of print. But I have found some of the things Clark says provide useful ways of putting my task as a poet in perspective. I try to say, in my poetry, 'what the heart doth say' about one of the great passions of my life--the complex interrelationships between my society, my religion and my own experience. My poetry attempts to describe the experience of one man pioneering a new Faith across two continents over four epochs of the first century of the Formative Age. Here, in what has become a massive poetic opus, is a putting into words of what one man saw when he opened a window on his experience, richly coloured as it was by his religion and the story of his society. I have, like Clark and Thomas Hardy before me, watched "that pattern among general things" which my idiosyncrasy moves me to observe.-Ron Price with thanks to Manning Clark, A History of Australia: Vol. 3 and 6, Preface, 1973 and 1987.

We pay a terrible price

for our fatal flaws---

as you put it when

you were finishing up

your great work.

The one precious gift

we need is to read

the direction of the

river of life and

I have poured much

into that reading.

I have poured my life

into this 'holy crusade.'

It has fortified my days,

but left me worn at the edges

as the light was finally

installed on the hill

in the Vineyard of the Lord.

It wasn't, as Clark concluded,

that no one knew the direction

of the river or had anything to say.1

Too many people thought they knew

and even more had something to say.

If I did not have the aid

of those Men of Baha,

I would drown in that

blood-dimmed tide

of passionate intensity2

and endless, absolutely

endless, opinions.

1 Clark, Vol.6, op.cit., p.500: written on or about May 13th 1987.

2 W.B. Yeats: in his famous prophetic poem.

Ron Price

22 February 2002

Back