• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

If I Liked Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (Fantasy Newby)

Concetta

A friend and I both read this novel and really enjoyed it. We both LOVED the characters and the way the details of the story made the "world" come alive to us. This is a first venture in the fantasy genre for both of us (shhhhhh - actually its the second - we both read the Harry Potter books, but don't want to admit it ;) ).

So if we both liked this book, do you Fantasy Experts have recommendations for other very similar novels / authors /series we might enjoy?

(Aside: I have since read Neverwhere and American Gods, which I aready recommended to him.)

OK, here are a few:
Lttle, Big by Crowley
The Last Guardian of Everness/The Mist of Everness by Wright
Roger Zelazny: Amber series
Roger Zelazny: Creatures of Light and Darkness
and if you can find them:
Herbert: The God Makers
Modesitt: Hammer of Darkness

My suggestions:
  • Little, Big (already suggested, but good)
  • Lud-in-the-Mist (set in a fantasy world, but it had a similar English feeling, and I loved it)
  • Stardust (I think this was one of Susanna Clarke's large inspirations - she wrote a short story set in the same world as this)
  • Anything by Jane Austen or Charles Dickens (not fantasy, regrettably, but the writing style is very similar and I'm enjoying them a lot)
If anyone else knows of others, I'd love to hear them. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is my favorite book and I'm interested in anything remotely similar.

Back