• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

If you had your own country...

This sure got ridiculous rather quickly. Originally intended to be a serious discussion I suppose this will now become entirely idiotic but you will enjoy yourselves so whatever.

Fine, I'll respond according to your questions:

OUTLAWIA IN FIVE QUESTIONS

1) How big would it be?
Depends entirely on how rich our neighbours are. If they are worth robbing, I expect it will keep expanding until there's more incentive for the outlaws to rob each other rather than the poor people in neighbouring countries.

2) What would your government be?
That's an interesting question. It'll be a dictatorship in name since I will be the only one who gets to make any decisions, but since everyone (including the cops and the dictator himself) will be outlaws anyway, I suppose it'll be anarchy in practice.

3) What geographic range would it be?
See 1). Most of it will be desert, with the odd mountain range thrown in. All cities must have either "Gulch" or "Pueblo" in their name.

4) Would there be any restrictions?
Well... yeah. All of 'em. One of the most important being that should any outlaws band together, they must do so four by four and always walk in order according to length (shortest one first).

5) Would you have randomly assorted taxes like America?
Taxes...? We don't need no steeenking taxes!

(Sorry. I just think that for this to merit serious discussion, it would probably require a lot more than just five questions.)

1) How big would it be?
An island nation. You must be admitted by the Head of State in order to visit and cannot stay on the island for more than a month without becoming a citizen. Citizenship would require that you speak the language of the island, have paid the required dues to be admitted as a citizen and have a trade that is profitable to the nation.

2) What would your government be?
A republic, in a sense. I, of course, would be Head of State. Each family on the island would have a representative that would be able to propose laws and vote on other laws that were proposed. However, the family will lose its voting rights if any member is found harming another subject on the island, not contributing any labor to the nation or if that family has any unpaid dues.

Tropical. Mountainous in the interior, beaches on the outskirts, large reef surrounding the island. There would only be one break in the reef where ships can come to port. There would be no other way to access the island via the sea. There would be only one airport.

4) Would there be any restrictions?
See #1 and #2. The only other restrictions would apply as laws were made by family members and approved by the Head of State (me). No law would be passed without a final vote in the House of Leaders. The Head of State has the ability to veto any law unless the law was voted unanimously by the House of Leaders. This, however, excludes any unanimous votes that would be considered mutinous to The Head of State.

5) Would you have randomly assorted taxes like America?
I'm not really sure what "randomly assorted taxes" are. However, as described above, each family would be required to pay "dues" per family member. The Family Leaders are responsible for said dues. Each family member of age must also contribute to the betterment of the society in one way or another, whether that be servitude, a specific trade, or assisting with security and tourism.

You thought this out entirely too much. :p

Tropical. Mountainous in the interior, beaches on the outskirts, large reef surrounding the island. There would only be one break in the reef where ships can come to port. There would be no other way to access the island via the sea. There would be only one airport.

Will there be a giant ape that lives at the center of the island that you feed people that have overstayed their welcome or have found your hidden counterfeit Starlight Vocal Band CD printing operation?

sparkchaser said:
You thought this out entirely too much.
Actually this world came from dreams I've had. I've been meaning to write a short story based on it, but my time is restricted and, well, I play too much poker, entertain or drink too much and forget about it.:eek:

sparkchaser said:
Will there be a giant ape that lives at the center of the island that you feed people that have overstayed their welcome or have found your hidden counterfeit Starlight Vocal Band CD printing operation?
Well, certainly there will be wildlife on the island, but the giant ape is doubtful. However, if there would be one, as long as he pitches in for the betterment of the society, he is more than welcome. However, he cannot eat anyone since harming another subject of the realm is cause for loss of voting privileges for his entire family and, if there should be a second occurrance, deportment.

Any non-citizen who stays longer without written consent from The Head of State or The House of Leaders will be deported to international waters and "dropped off" there. The obvious exception to the law of staying but one month would be if there was a hurricane or other extreme weather which prevented a tourist from leaving the island. In which case, they would still be required to assist in battening down the hatches and any storm clean-up that may be required. In order to stay, you must be productive and contribute to society.

Actually this world came from dreams I've had. I've been meaning to write a short story based on it, but my time is restricted and, well, I play too much poker, entertain or drink too much and forget about it.:eek:

It sounds like a great idea and I'd really like to see you develop it more.

Perhaps when I have more time (or take the time). The one problem I have always had is coming up with a name for the country. I have had some creative ideas, but they just don't have the "zing" I want. Maybe it'll come to me in another dream.

I suppose it would be pompous to name it after yourself.

I think I'd name my country some variation on Tillamook or perhaps Yakima.

Two that had originally come to mind were Alcedonia and Concordia. Alcedonia is Latin for tranquility and Concordia is Latin for harmony.

Back