• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I'm looking for an editor

jazzy33

Hello all,

I have a completed thriller/police procedural I'd love to self-publish on Amazon and B&N; however, the fee that free lance editors charge makes it impossible for me.

I was wondering if anyone here might know of someone reasonable. Also, I am an experienced reviewer, have done hundreds of critiques, and also have judged a number of contests, including the Daphne du Maurier. I would therefore be open to doing an exchange for at least part of the fee. Perhaps someone who edits might need someone to critique a mss, long, short, or whatever.

I do have someone interested in publishing; however, it would necessitate starting with ebooks and waiting a considerable length of time for paperbacks. My book is set in a real place and the P.D. is more interested in paperbacks than ebooks.

Thanks in advance.

Jazzy33

Hi Jazzy,

I know that some freelance copy editors (like me) will be willing to do a copy edit for a lower fee if the author can be very flexible with deadlines. I've done some work for several clients, for example, who simply cannot afford the regular fees in these poor economical times. It simply takes longer since I have to accommodate regular customers as well (since we all have those unwanted bills). It can of course depend on how busy they are, or how flexible they can manage to be with their fees, but it's worth checking into.

You might want to ask around, or feel free to message me if you wish.

I do freelance editing for very reasonable prices, but can't really give you a quote unless I know length, scope (Just proofreading? Critique editing? Do you need formatting for e-book?, etc.) and quality of writing skills. The good news is I edit first chapters for free, no obligation when I give you the quote. I can supply references.
I'm in the last edit of a novel at the moment, so I'll soon be ready for another project.
Feel free to e-mail me a first chapter (preferably in MS Word).

John Bushore

john@johnbushore.com

I've got a project to work on at the moment, but you might want to provide a word count to give people a better handle on how much work is involved.
How much are the freelance editors charging?

This may not meet your immediate needs, however, it is a process that provided me with some excellent editors for free, by exchanging services. Early in my writing career, I established long-term relationships with three other writers, found through a careful selection process that involved attending meetings of several writers’ groups and monitoring various writing classes at the local college. We eventually formed our own small writers’ group, and all agreed to do some research and study of the editing process and other facets of publishing, to learn how to provide various services to each other. Over the years, as our skills improved, we each became proficient in one particular area: copy editing, line editing, continuity checking, and graphic artwork. Today, some twenty years later, we still provide these services for each other, trading our time and talents at no cost to any of us, and we have all become successful. Plus, the process of evaluating, editing and collaborating on the work of others has provided valuable experience for improving our own work.

I should qualify this by mentioning that I was never very impressed with writers’ groups or creative writing classes in general. I found that most were filled with folks who simply wanted to hear their own words and socialize, and who were never really serious about working hard at a professional writing career. These groups and classes did, however, provide me with connections that led to our little self-help group and the free services we continue to offer each other. By the way, between the four of us, we have published over 20 books, including novels, non-fiction, and technical manuals, and one of our members has published over 2,000 articles in some 30 magazines.

Wow, I want in on a group like that. That's an excellent idea. I agree on the classes thing though. My college creative writing class was just plain painful because some of those kids didn't even know how to put in paragraph breaks. We were all reading about 4 pages of solid text with multiple speakers in the same mess. made me :confused:

Back