• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

i'm recommending books!

bookclubnazi

i'm rcommending these two not only out of good will--because i thought they were both fabulous books-- but also for selfish reasons. i want to discuss these books!! :D

deafing, by fraces itani:
the story of a deaf girl who loses her hearing due to illness and goes to a school for the deaf in southern ontario. as she graduates, world war 2 breaks out and the story is no longer about just one young woman with unique challenges, but is set against a global struggle. this book highlights the fascinating and often maddening difficulties faced by the deaf when trying to communication with those who do not pay attention. i found it enlightening in so many ways.

what we all long for, by dionne brand:
a story with three (or four? or five?) main characters. brand could be described as a "black writer" or a "lesbian writer" but i think her perspective has enriched her work: her characters reflect the multiculturalism prevalent in most major cities. brand is best known for her poetry, and (like most poets-turned-authors) her writing is rich and beautiful, but harsh when it needs to be.

they are both canadian writers, but don't let that stop you! ;)

sooooo..... homework: read these books and tell me what you think!

Back