• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I'm stuck

jaynebosco

I don't know why but I keep getting hung up on Goblet of Fire and about half way through I just stop reading. I also seem to read slower when I am reading GoF and was wondering if anybody has any suggestion as to how I should go about reading the book and reading it quickly. I don't use any guides as I read, as I find it slows me down.

I think the only thing you can do is keep reading and not give up. There are slower parts in almost all books and all you can do is just push on and get past the slow part until something good happens again.

I can't remember exactly what happens in the middle of GoF, but hopefully you can get past it and enjoy the book as a whole!

How about this..either push through the slow parts and move on, or just move on around it. Your other alternative is to put the book down, watch the movie, then pick it back up. I don't know exactly where you are, but chances are, you won't miss a whole lot that you can't pick up later either in the next book or the film.

Push on, all the HPs tend to get a bit snoozy in the middle. GoF was my favourite pre-HBP book in the series, the final challenge of the Tri-Wizard Tournament is far more exciting in the book than the movie.

I also seem to read slower when I am reading GoF and was wondering if anybody has any suggestion as to how I should go about reading the book

It did happen to me with other books and the best solution - well, the one that worked out fine with me at least- was to leave it for a week. I put the book in a place where I could see it at all times and then I ended up wanting to read it just because I kept looking at it. It doesn't work with all titles but...try;-)

However...I think HP series is one of the only I have never given up. I just love reading it and can't wait for the last book!

The first time I came across it, I just skipped the whole second half entirely, then read the next book when it came out. I really, really wish I hadn't done that, though, because when I eventually reread it, reading the first half again was annoying, but the second half was wonderful, especially--as Peronel said--the end of the tournament. It's become my favourite book thus far.

I don't know why but I keep getting hung up on Goblet of Fire and about half way through I just stop reading. I also seem to read slower when I am reading GoF and was wondering if anybody has any suggestion as to how I should go about reading the book and reading it quickly. I don't use any guides as I read, as I find it slows me down.

I don't know. I think if you can't get through Goblet of Fire, than you are not going to get through the Order of the Phoenix. Good luck!:)

Thanks to everybody's advice; I was stuck on Chapter 9 at the time of the post and have made significant advances and could possibly be done in the next few days (I'm on Chapter 29 at the moment).

Thank you all for your input; I have finally finished Goblet of Fire (which I throughly loved, btw) and now onto the last three books, which I hope to have done in the next week :)

Rowling has said that if she could go back and change anything she would have edited book 5 better, because she felt it was too long.

I had the same problem with 4 and 5. They're my least favorite in the series because I think they both suffer from not enough editing.

Rowling has said that if she could go back and change anything she would have edited book 5 better, because she felt it was too long.

I had the same problem with 4 and 5. They're my least favorite in the series because I think they both suffer from not enough editing.

its a good thing she's at least aware of that. i assumed since 6th was much shorter and to the point.

The Order of the Phoenix was the first HP book I read (it was a gift). I didn't see what all the hype was about, but I promised my niece I'd read it. As soon as I finished it, I had to go out and buy all of those that came before it. I do agree that there is much more detail in it and the Goblet of Fire, but, personally, they are both my favorite in the series thus far. I am reading the final book now.

Back