• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Impostor

Marie

kickbox
I've recently watched "Impostor", which is based on a short story by Philip K. Dick. I thought it was one of the worst sci-fi movie ever! A chase that lasted one hour and a half... No suspense, no real surprise, nothing...

I was wondering if anybody has read the story it's based on? Is it any better than the movie?

Marie

well the book is classic k.dick "what is human"....i love his work..
not seen the film, ill probably get round to renting it

Well, it seemed to me there could have been an interesting philosophical debate behind this story, but somehow, they managed to make it VERY minimal.

"Blade Runner" at least, was interesting (I haven't read the book but I've been told it is even better).

As for "Minority Report", the trailer seems attractive, I'll rent the DVD when it's out.

"Minority Report" (the movie) was much better than I expected. I wasn't too sure about Tom Cruise in a dark science-fiction film. However, Minority Report is not nearly as dark as Blade Runner. Even my husband, who isn't a sci-fi fan liked it.

Hugely disappointing

My big problem with Minority Report was precisely that it was a really dark and thematically interesting sci-fi film for the first hour - worthy of the "best sci-fi flick since Blade Runner" praise it got - and then got confused about where it wanted to go and what it wanted to say, finally descending into unwatchable Hollywood sentimentality. A great start, with real promise, let down by Spielberg's inability to get over his overpowering desire to tell a simple tale with a happy ending.

I walked out of the cinema wondering if I'd ever risk paying money to see a big-budget film made by a big studio ever again. (Except Lord of the Rings, maybe.)

Tobytook

Hey, Toby, where've you been? Missed your erudite comments :)

Guess I viewed Minority Report as a better than average "entertainment" rather than a serious sci-fi film. I went in not expecting too much, so wasn't disappointed. Although, I agree that it started out with some promise. I read somewhere that Spielberg was trying to get a "film noir" look/feel which I think he totally missed.

Ell

Resurrection man

Hey Ell - and everyone, really

My home PC became an abode of dragons some time ago. It took a while, but a fearless engineer eventually drove out the demons and returned the hard drive to me unburned. It's okay now, de-gremlin'd and curiously a bit friskier than before. A brush with death was obviously good for it on some Virtual Life-affirming level.

So now I'm back in black. Footloose from the noose, as it were.

Tobytook

PS: Agreed. Minority Report missed the hoop by some way if Spielberg was shooting for noir. It basically demonstrated that he'd like to go back to making films like Hook. I suppose I might have viewed it in a better light if, like you, I'd had no expectations. Unfortunately, I was all geared up for "the best sci-fi film since Blade Runner". Always a mistake, I know. The main reason I enjoyed Attack of the Clones so much was, I'm sure, because I went into it expecting just another dose of Episode I rubbish.

Re: Hugely disappointing

Originally posted by Tobytook
A great start, with real promise, let down by Spielberg's inability to get over his overpowering desire to tell a simple tale with a happy ending.

like A.I.
if only it finished when the kid was in the ice....would have been a great ending....

Back