• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

imprecise language

abecedarian said:
Yeah leckert, but do you say "dub-ya" or "dubble-yew" ??? :D ;) :D

ooops, this reminds me of my favorite dumb blonde joke..I'd better stop :rolleyes:

:D

It depends. If I am saying the alphabet, it is dubble-yew. If I am greeting my good friend, the President, it's dub-ya!

Libre said:
MonkeyCatcher - OK, no offense taken.
GW strikes me as a nincompoop, not because of his mispronounciation of the names of weapons, but because of his misuse of them. And because of his many gross miscalculations. And his unwillingness to admit his mistakes, or to revise his approach, or take any corrective action.
Agreed! I actually have a poster up on my wall of Bush quotes which show his true stupidity, such as "more and more of our imports come from overseas" or "reading is the basics of all learning" and even "they misunderestimated me".

Wow, managed to talk about my most hated person in the world and still stay on topic :D

LOL misunderestimated... that's a good one. I think I'll make a point of beginning to use it frequently. We have a history of home-made words in my family and this one is right up our alley - pity I can't post some examples, I doubt all that many of you would understand Danish word jokes...

"misunderestimated" reminds me of a line from Looney Tunes Summer Vacation were the backwoods hillbilly(think Deliverance) opposum-like critter says, " Well, GOOOOLLLYY, I'm gonna get me some edumacation!"

leckert said:
Whether I agree with you or not (which I don't) I am relieved to see that you have dubbed him a "bird-brain" based on something other than his accent, put on or not. (I think it probably is).

I NEVER said an accent makes someone a bird-brain. NEVER NEVER NEVER!!! And I never implied it, either. How did I get on the defensive on this point?
The fact is, EVERYBODY has an accent.
Sorry you don't agree about Dubya. You seem like such a sensible sort. You even play the guitar, and everything. Oh well.

True, but there's not far from thinking one sounds like a bird-brain, to thinking one *is* a bird brain, and taking your statement from earlier it balances somewhere between stating that he sounds like and that he is.
Saying "nucular" rather than "nuclear" is not indicative that the speaker is a Texan, but rather that the speaker is a bird brain.

*shrug*

"misunderestimated" reminds me of a line from Looney Tunes Summer Vacation were the backwoods hillbilly(think Deliverance) opposum-like critter says, " Well, GOOOOLLLYY, I'm gonna get me some edumacation!"
lol aye, same type of mistake.

abecedarian said:
Hehe :D That reminds me of the way that my siblings and I talked when we were younger. We always used to add extra inserts in words, or intentionally mispronounciate things - it was our own special language :D

Wow, my family and I sound like freaks when I actually type it out...

MonkeyCatcher said:
Hehe :D That reminds me of the way that my siblings and I talked when we were younger. We always used to add extra inserts in words, or intentionally mispronounciate things - it was our own special language :D

Wow, my family and I sound like freaks when I actually type it out...

Not freaks at all! It takes a certain degree of linguistic knowledge to purposely mangle a language. Wordplay is a sign of high intellect. We like to take a song and create new, and not necessarily, improved lyrics. My dh started this when we were dating, and the kids have grown up with it and think its normal :rolleyes: Besides, if one can't play with the mother tongue, why bother to speak at all!

abecedarian said:
Not freaks at all! It takes a certain degree of linguistic knowledge to purposely mangle a language. Wordplay is a sign of high intellect. We like to take a song and create new, and not necessarily, improved lyrics. My dh started this when we were dating, and the kids have grown up with it and think its normal :rolleyes: Besides, if one can't play with the mother tongue, why bother to speak at all!
That's interesting!

I can relate to the song thing - my family also does this :)

There's a sign in the elevator of my building:
NO SMOKING
under penalty of law

That can't be right.
Shouldn't it be:

SMOKING
under penalty of law

Or even better:

SMOKE
under penalty of law
???

Ah, these people that write signs are clueless. It must be a qualification to become a sign writer. They give you a language and logic test, and if you pass, you can't be a sign writer.

Libre said:
Ah, these people that write signs are clueless.
These are some of my favorites... I have a thing for silly signs:

megaflicks.jpg

enter.jpg

sign6.jpg

sign20.jpg

I am always suspicious that such photos have been Photoshopped. Except for the Entrance sign-those are posted at the exits of parking lots so people don't come in there while others are exiting.

Back