• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

In search of...

Ak_red

I am looking for a book I read (eons ago) when I was a teenager. I remember very little about it except:

1. It is Sci-Fi
2. It involved some sort of parasite that took over its host
3. The main character in the novel had somehow taken back control of his body
4. He wore some sort of blade (I want to say a razor) around his neck and threatened to use it on himself when ever this parasite/entity or whatever it was tried to reassert control.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I cant even tell you if it was a good book or not! It has been nagging at me since I tracked down the Star Rigger series by John DeChancie two years ago. I really want to put it to rest and go to the next barely remembered book on my sub-concious. Thanks!

David

Okay, another thing remembered:

There was something about Goblins, either in the title, or that's what they called the parasites, or both.

'The Puppet Masters' by Robert A. Heinlein involves parasites that take over their hosts and the main character has his body taken over at one point of the book but in the beginning he's a free man.

It's not Heinlein's best but I still think that it's a good book. It starts out with very typical Hollywood conditions but Heinlein's tone is still there to be found.

The movie adaptation is a mockery.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it is the same one. This guy has whatever it is inside him, and he is keeping it from taking over his body. I remember one part where the parasite, or whatever it is, is trying to take control, and the guy threatens to kill himself with that razor he carries around his neck to keep the thing at bay. Dang, this is gonna drive me nuts.

If it is the body snatchers I am thinking of no. In those, the bodies were replaced. In this book he can actually talk to this thing in his head, and keeps it from taking over with the threat of suicide.

The Puppet Masters
Perhaps it's not an uncommon plot point but when the main character is taken over by a parasite I believe he's able to communicate with it (in the head) and gets away from it by the threat of suicide. I don't remember the method but I think it more likely was with explosives than cutlery.
But if you're certain that the parasites are inside their hosts then this isn't it.

Back