• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

In translation

GERBAM

Henning Mankell is a treasure that English speaking people are now able to read. Not unlike Georges Simenon (another master) he has his detective who is a flawed man with many personal problems and who is married to his job. Mankell's 'murders' are fascinating and the way Wollander goes about solving them is an exercise in intellectual gymnastics.

I"m finding that I am enjoying the writers I have been reading in translation much more than most American fare. I often wonder if people in the countries my new favorites come from feel that way about American writers.

I"ve 'traveled' to:
JAPAN
BRAZIL
SWEDEN
FRANCE
NORWAY
ICELAND
SPAIN
GERMANY
FRANCE
ARGENTINA
HOLLAND
ETC.

Hi Gerbam!
I am from Barcelona ( Spain) and yes, I am enjoying with many of their american writers, such as: Mark Twain, Philip Roth, J.D Sallinger, Katherine Neville...

Michael Henry Heim, translator of The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera, said: The best measure of a translation, as with any work of art, is that you don't notice the work that went into it.
So I thought in this quote and I wondered, What translated work was so good that I never noticed that it was translated? Well, the great majority of books that I have read but with some nuances.
By the way Gerbam, do you know the inspector Montalbano? Or Andrea Camilleri's books? He is a sicilian writer.

Back