• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Inspired to write by the horror of reality

Slugbaby

[B]Inspired to write by the horror of reality[/B]

Why write?

Do we scribe merely to vent our creative talents or do many authors hold a darker tale. Are the jotted notes we constantly make mere scribbling or a release from the tension many of us hold inside. Whether our words are born of the pains of an awkward childhood or the trauma of a difficult marriage when pen finally meets paper our escape is found.

In the written word all barriers are broken. The weak are strong; the disabled grow able and the subdued are unbound. It is often the traumatic experiences in life which inspire the greatest works of art. A powerful song, a memorable poem or an exciting book bloom from such trauma induced characters as Wilfred Owen and JRR Tolkien. The reality of the troubled mind can often find therapy is the telling of a tale. A story can provide a channel through which one can come to terms with the horrors reality can sometimes off load on our poor souls.

In words we find a friend. One who can be rich, colourful, exuberant or dramatic and suspenseful. A friend we can shape into almost any form we chose to tell our tale. We ponder over plots and write, reassess and write again all in an effort to channel our release. Yet when the tale is told and our work done we cannot let it be, the words become our true friends; friends we cannot live without.

It is to my regret that such writing as plagued me. “The Mapping of Markesh” holds many elements found in the reality of my life. Even some of the characters have grown from the stranger folk I have encountered during my many travels. Travelling within a military environment also exposed a young man to the shadier persona of the human race. From the wrenching apart of family units caught amid the horrors of war to the deprived children of the third world struggling to find food on a daily basis I have experienced some of the worst our race has to offer.

I find such experiences thought provoking and emotional. From the desperate to the dying they shall forever remain a part of who I am. I transfer such experiences to a fantastical environment in order to speak freely. To name and blame brings no pride to an honourable man. There will forever be conflict whether social, domestic or international, it is and remains the nature of the beast!

A writer writes for the love of it, though often a writer is born not of a grand literary desire but the need for a release. I have found mine in the penning of fantasy! Where will you find yours?

Great post, slugbaby. I think that you are right in both things: that a personal crisis can break open a person’s word hoard and also that practice of the craft can make the expression something understandable. Both are extremely important to make writing into art.

A great writer can arise without trauma, but I personally think it’s unlikely. Maybe that’s a skewed view.

To me, the inclination to introspection combined with breaking of “normal” is where art is made. Sometimes “normal” is broken by external circumstances, not by the self.

Back