• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Interesting article

Martin said:
So that'll be a yes?

Thank you.

Cheers, Martin

Not necessarily ;) Just a tendency I've noticed. Certainly it doesn't apply to everyone...and you're actually not likely to be unimaginative. Its those people who never read that seem to lack an imagination (my husband). And I'm a poor person to judge against, because I am so imaginative....spending hours on end in other places away from this world.

SillyWabbit said:
I find books have, in general, a higher good to crap ratio than movies.

Books seem to have a higher 'good to crap ratio', but part of the reason for that's because due to the number of books that have probably been produced throughout the ages, only the most popular stand the test of time and can be found in today's bookshops. The older crap books (along with a number of good ones) simply don't get published anymore, pushing up the 'good to crap ratio'.

It doesn't cost a few hundred million to produce a book (normally), so books can take more chances and push more boundaries than movies or tv can ever hope to do. If a movie's going to cost a bomb and only appeals to a small number of people, forget it.

There are some pretty good films out there however, but as 95% of all published material is uninspired generic crap, I find there are only 4 or 5 decent movies per year that appeal to me (well from Hollywood anyway)

On another note

Another would be Twelve Angry Men.
What good taste you've got :)

it seems like a lot of films are underrated. of course you have directors like stanley kubrick, david lynch and quentin tarantino, but I don't know many people who have heard of other great filmmakers such as dario argento, sam peckinpah or ruggero deodato. just ask anyone to name twenty authors and they could probably double or even triple it, but try asking a group of people to name ten directors and chances are they probably couldn't even name half that. they usually watch the shitty films anyway ...

Back