• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Invented interview with Michael Stipe

ladybird

(Before I begin, I must say that this, of course, is not a real interview. But it IS based on many real facts. I did it last year as English homework.
I chose Michael Stipe because I am 200% addicted to R.E.M. I have twelve CD's, one single, two DVD's, more than three hundred pictures, one English biography AND a concert ticket for June 22.)

Interview with Michael Stipe

This is the interview I have always dreamed about. I can might as well just say it now: I must be the biggest R.E.M. fan in their whole history. I know the songs by heart and listen to my CD’es (unfortunately, I only have three, but they at least have got fourteen more so I shouldn’t complain) 23 hours per day. Oh well, this is an interview, not a biography about myself, so I will start. I am supposed to meet with Michael in a little café in Seattle, and when I walk into the room I see him sit by a table for two. He is chatting eagerly with the waiter, and I know this will be great fun. The man has a glimt in his eyes and an uncontrollable sense of humour. He is the vocalist in the band, and the two other members are Mike Mills and Peter Buck. I walk towards him with butterflies in my belly.
- Hello, nice to meet you. My name is Øygunn Mediå.
- Hi! I have been looking forward to this. Michael.
I shake his hand, he’s got such a sweet smile.
- Are you having a good day, or a bad day as in your new hit single?
- Oh, what a question. No, except for a burned toast I ate for breakfast, this is so far a good day. Nice to have a few days off, with no stage shows or songwriting.
- Do you have a family of your own, or is it too stressing?
- No, I haven’t had a girlfriend since high school. I’m single!
He’s laughing, finally I have found someone with the same humour as myself.
- Sorry about that. Ouch, my shoulders hurt when I laugh a lot. I go on.
- I am not trying to insult you now, but you lost your hair very early?
- Yeah…I don’t really feel like talking about that. Being bald isn’t so bad.
- In 1997, Bill Berry retired from R.E.M.. Why did he, and did it change much?
- He was tired of it, frankly, and wanted a life more like everyone elses. It was tough for the rest of us, but we understood. And Bill did not want to be the person that split up R.E.M., which means he wouldn't quit if it meant the end of the band.
- You had an album called Automatic for the People. Why?
- Automatic for the People is the motto and service mark of Weaver D’s Delicious Fine Foods in Clarke County, Georgia. We liked the motto and thought it would be a appropiate name on the album, especially because we have eaten there so many times.
I order a coffee, the waiter puts it on the table with a sharp sound. Michael looks at me.
- Why don’t you try some of the blueberry pie here? It’s lovely, you should taste it.
It sounds good, I am hungry. And suddenly, he has bought me one, out of nowhere, and will not let me pay. It’s true – it is lovely.
- On the album Green, the last track is nameless. Why is that?
- Just for fun, of course! To see peoples reactions and such. If we wanted to give it a name, we would have. I thought you were going to ask me really hard questions, but at least this one was almost too simple…ha ha. By the way, I used to put 7 on each sleeve in the early 80's, until people started giving me strange comments. But it was not supposed to mean anything, like so much of our music is not supposed to do, it was just this cool typo-thing.
- Are you guys good friends, or only working together?
- We are really good friends! Of course, sometimes we get sick of each other, but that is only natural. I’ve known Peter the most of my life, we used to play songs at stages until about 1979. We played All the Right Friends, actually. I don’t know why we never recorded it, maybe we thought it was kind of juvenile. But when asked to contribute a song to the movie Vanilla Sky with eight days notice, it no longer seemed quite so naïve. We recorded it in about three hours prior to a show here in Seattle, and conciously tried to perform it as we would have in 1979.
- How about self confidence, do you have that?
- Not more than others, I think. You gotta have a little guts to play on a stage – but I am still nervous every time. The first couple of years I was just so afraid for anyone to notice – but then I realized it didn’t really matter anyway. I am glad I thought so, cause everything became a lot easier after that. But, of course, the most important reason for our sucess is the fans. We would never have made it without them. It does maybe sound silly, but however, it is true, you know. That is only logical thinking. So when we play live at concerts, we try to do the best we can and give our fans only what they truly deserve. Without them we’re nothing, and they are ought to know that. Back to your question again... Well, I think I am a great singer!
- You have just released an album: The best of R.E.M.. Which songs do you like best yourself?
- Oh, I don’t know…I feel really special about some of them. All the Right Friends I have already told you about. Losing My Religion was the one that made us famous – after this we were in the frontpage of every magazine, had awards and such… Before, we were still considered kind of minor league. Everybody Hurts was also a big hit, but it was an arrangement hell. I know I don’t really answer your question now, both because you asked for those I liked best, and from our new album – but the absolutely worst songs must be Walter’s Theme and King of the Road. I suppose that if we had any shame that little gem should never have seen the light of day. We recorded it at the very end of a long alcohol soaked day, and I can barely remember cutting it. If there was any justice in the world, Roger Miller should be able to sue for what we did to this song. Electrolite is one of Peter’s favourites…Stand is the, um, how shall I put this? It’s the stupidest song we’ve ever written. That’s not nessecarily a bad thing, though – a lot of my favourite rock and roll records have been extravagently dumb, and while Stand doesn’t reach the God-like heights of inspired stupidity as a song like Louie Louie by the Kingsmen does, we are at least playing in the same ballpark. Someone has probably noticed the guitar solo: Peter had just bought a wah wah pedal that morning, and the first thing he used it in was the solo in Stand. It was such a fun experience! When he looked around to see what everyone thought he was met with gales of uncontrollable laughter. Later, he told me: ”I remember I thought anything that could inspire that kind of reaction must be good. I hope I was right.” About Orange Crush he said something like: ”I must have played this song onstage over three hundred times, and I still don’t know what the **** it’s about.”
He laughs.
- Do you know?
- Well… not really…
I look at him, and his eyes tells me how much he is trying not to laugh. I look at my watch.
- Well, time is out!
- Already? I thougt you were one of these tough persons… just kidding.
We say good bye, I thank him for this interview and walk out to a sunny afternoon. I wish I could have spend more time with Michael, I had so much fun in there – but I’m very aware I am lucky to meet him at all. I have a song running on my mind – of course it’s Everybody Hurts – and remember something I read: This song doesn’t really belong to us any more. It belongs to everyone who has ever gotten any solace from it. Peter Buck’s words. And I think: This song gives me solace even when I am not sad. It almost makes me cry.

Back