• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Invented Words

dele said:
I'd say you can invent words, only be careful that it doesn't sound like you're writing in a new language.

LOL! When I read that first time, I was sure it said,

I'd say you can INVENT WORLDS.

New worlds, new words. Has to be, hasn't it?

:)

SFxxx

novella said:
Lots of authors invent words.

The anonymous author of Primary Colors (novel during Clinton administration) was unmasked because of his frequent use of invented multi-compound words, e.g., " a flying-by-the-seat-of-his-gray-flannel-trousers maneuver."

Any good writer of fiction will stretch usage, turning a word in a new way. It's a way to avoid cliche and bring the reader something new.

Ooh yeah, and interesting you should mention that. I'm not even sure if in linguistics or general semantics there's much written about this - I call that "calling a function".

To introduce a new word, first something like that " a flying-by-the-seat-of-his-gray-flannel-trousers maneuver." is used once or twice, then a shortened version is used to refer BACK to that more complex function or metaphor - which might have been something like flynneling. Oh look - he's flynnelling again!

A lot of words are derived that way - they are shortcuts to much longer functions, metaphorical descriptions of complexity.

The only trouble comes along when people forget the original metaphor altogether and a word is left that is then a shortcut to nowhere!

LOL

& thanks for that,

SFxxx :)

PS - In case anyone is interested in that structure, I've got a good example of this called Griming In Snake Town.

Thesaurustocrat

That what words are for. . . to make more words. . . we should all invent a new word everyday. . . this is mine. . . what's yours?

Thesaurustocrat: One who uses equivalent synonyms in a noble manner.
Edgar Allen Poe, a Thesaurustocrat in poetry.

Oh I like that!

Ok ... hmmm ... right, got it.

Sensay.

To sensay - the act of touching someone with the intent of stimulating their senses, to communicate with touch.

Variations:

to be sensayed, the art of sensay.

Like it? :)

SFxxxx

"Peashot" is a brilliant new word. It reminds me of Kristin Hersh's song Beestung: "You've beestung me".

Heinlein did it quite a bit in the name of keeping up with language changes that had to happen with the passing of time
yeah, i can grok that. ;)

also keep in mind that "new" words don't always have to be made up.
one of the best examples of this is from "A Clockwork Orange", where much of the slang came from a hybridization of english and russian.

Ultraviolence ...

Oh you've just reminded me of one of my favourite words of all time - ultraviolent.

May many share water with you!

SFx :)

Roald Dahl invented words all the time, and not just for his children's fiction. I do it as well, and it's all the better if you do so considering the etymological roots of the invented term.

third man girl said:
What are the thoughts on 'invented words' when writing a novel?

Is this unacceptable?

I'm often tempted to do this, as long as the meaning of the word is clear within the context it is written.

Example: The boy stole a peashooter, and peashot his dog.

Third Man Girl

Anthony Burgess famously invented a whole new language for his novel "A Clockwork orange". This language, which he called "Nadsat", was a hybrid of English, Russian, German and other slang words. You can find a Nadsat dictionary at http://soomka.com/nadsat.html

Back