• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Is Time Real?

veggiedog said:
Time does exist, but it has no system. Humans systemised it for measurement purposes (minutes, hours, years). Just like space, it has gone on forever and will go on forever; there was never a beginning and never will be an end. But time does exist, and it has to, or everything would be happening at once. There would be nothing without time, because everything takes time to develop.

Everything does happen at once, veggiedog. I've been trying to tell ya.

Look here

StillILearn said:
Everything does happen at once, veggiedog. I've been trying to tell ya.

Look here

That's, um, very interesting. I can understand what you are saying, but how would you even define the present? Does it mean the current hour? Second? Nano-second? Something smaller even than that? The present is an infinitely small point of time. Does everything happen in this infinitely small point of time? Am I overanalyzing?

What about the past, or is there no such thing? Do my birth and death occur at the same time? I see what you are trying to say...but I'm have a little trouble comprehending your vision of time. I think you may mean that compared to all time, our versions of it are so miniscule they are nothing, or all the same. Am I anywhere close? Can you explain?

So they invented a machine with hands that move around a dial. Looking at it, one might be convinced that this device is measuring the passage of time, and that proves that time really exists after all. The reality is, it's just a machine with some moving parts.
In one sense of the word, the PRESENT is the only time that exists. In another sense, the FUTURE instantaneously becomes the PAST and so the PRESENT doesn't exist at all. I'm tempted to just say dash it all - there really is no such thing as time at all.

I can observe myself ageing so time must exist.

I guess the real question is: Does Math Exist? It seems to me we become confused when we try to quantify time, which is just describing an observable phenomena a language our brain can interpret (math.)

So is Math Intuitive to nature? Or is it just something we humans came up with? Was it invented or discovered?

Back