• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Isabel Wolff: A Vintage Affair

Nellie

This is not normally my kind of book, but I was feeling rather out of sorts when I saw this and it had a pretty cover, and I lost my senses and bought it. I was very surprised when I started to read. In some ways it's traditional chick lit fare. Phoebe Swift has opened her own vintage dress shop and we follow her as she forges relationships with customers, her new shop assistant and an old lady, Therese, who is selling the clothes from her youth. It's all gentle stuff, but as the story progresses and we learn more about Therese and her experiences in the war the plot becomes more substantial than many stories in this genre.

Phoebe also has tragedy in her past, which is eating away at her, and we get glimpses of what has happened at intervals throughout the book allowing us to piece together her terrible loss. As the parallel story lines of Therese, Phoebe and her friends unfold we learn how the actions of a single person can have a huge effect on another, be that positive or negative. This is a thoroughly enjoyable book, and I will certainly be reading more of Isabel Wolff's work when I fancy something light and fluffy to read. :flowers:

Back