• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.D. Salinger: The Catcher In The Rye

Well, not really novella.
I have been in this situation many times, where I fail to appreciate something that is loved by people. I dont know why that happens. :(
What you say is true novella. I always read a book getting 'inside' the character. I sometimes get so immersed that I dont notice things like the author's writing style, the language used, some particular quote that becomes world famous and so on...
I should try to read the book from the larger perspective! By doing so, I might find something new in a book. I will try that sometimes :)

Well, I don't know. I think your original assessment is valid. I'm not saying you missed something. It's hard to like the book if you don't like Holden Caulfield at all, because the author requires your sympathy to some extent.

I think Holden has many faults, but I do think he's funny and confused, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But when I read that book now (maybe it's an age difference), I feel that Salinger wasn't just writing about this one kid, but about self-deception, class, and what we teach our kids inadvertently. Also, to me it's a breakthrough book in that it's one of the first instances of teen-age culture as a focal point, which became a huge phenomenon 20 years later.

Does anyone know from where he's telling the story about his psychological breakdown near Christmas? My hypothesis is that he's telling it from a mental hospital but I'm not sure. He doesn't specify exactly where he is after going home and become sick. But oh well, I think he should be in a very quiet place to make his nerve cool down for a while before attending a new school. ;)

I don't think the Catcher in the Rye is about rebellion at all - it's about loneliness and dealing with pain. Just my two cents.

Romany

My take on Catcher

I have read this book twice, once about nine months ago right at the beginning of my senior year of college and then again this past weekend. The first time I read it I didn't get much from it other than an appreciation for the style; I dig a classic that I can finish in two days. This time I had much less on my mind and thus more time to think about the symbols and such, but I found this site in my google search for some more input to the story.
I didn't get the whole "Cather in the Rye" thing, as in him saving kids from adulthood, I thank y'all for the insight there.
About Holden though, I am definitely a fan. I read the book from "the outside" as novella puts it, I was looking for social commentary throughout my read. But Holden, he really makes this an easy task. I don't see him so much as being one of the people, the phonies, he hates, but more like he is only 16 and really has all kinds of mixed up ideas. He knows what he doesn't want to be like, he can see all these characteristics in others that he knows he doesn't like, but being 16, he can't see those same things in himself yet. And he has all those qualities because, yes, he is establishment, he was raised that way. It's IN him.
I think he can tell that it's in him and that's what is so depressing to him, he doesn't want it in him. I think this is why so many people think they can relate to him as well; I remember a time not too long ago when I was learning so much about people, and learning both characteristicsfrom them I wanted to imitate and characteristicsI hoped I would never exhibit. I remember being disapointed in realizing I already was a person that had those qualities I disliked, and, like Holden, I realized it would be so much easier to run away from them than to face them and try to make changes in myself.
Ok, I'm done that was really long. Guess I was more inspired by the book than I realized.

I know this is terrible and that I'll get bonked over the head for this...but I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way...
I think Salinger is way overdone, especially at a HS level. I firmly dislike Catcher in the Rye, personally...it represents the epitome of immaturity and selfishness. I don't know why I have such a problem with this book. Maybe it's the fact that so many people...usually unstable teenage males...that I know, read it, and then begin to adopt this Holden-esque attitude...it's so disgusting. I believe in getting something out of literature, but adopting the character as part of your identity is destructive - regardless if the character is Holden, or someone else. That, and the book makes me excessively angry. I've read it several times...once for class assignments, once with a book club, and once on my own, and everytime I come away from it thinking...I don't know...the same feeling from when I stumble across a really long ranting blog from someone I barely know and very much dislike, and it's full of all that person's petty problems that I don't care about. I know this sounds horrible and that a lot of people really adore this book, and I totally respect that. I've never found anyone who agreed with my opinion on this book. But I figure it was worth voicing
I'll admit Salinger did something very interesting stylistically speaking. It's not a bad book, as far as literature goes. But...well...I'm sure you guys get my drift.

KissingJudas said:
I know this is terrible and that I'll get bonked over the head for this...but I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way...
I think Salinger is way overdone, especially at a HS level. I firmly dislike Catcher in the Rye, personally...it represents the epitome of immaturity and selfishness. I don't know why I have such a problem with this book. Maybe it's the fact that so many people...usually unstable teenage males...that I know, read it, and then begin to adopt this Holden-esque attitude...it's so disgusting. I believe in getting something out of literature, but adopting the character as part of your identity is destructive - regardless if the character is Holden, or someone else. That, and the book makes me excessively angry. I've read it several times...once for class assignments, once with a book club, and once on my own, and everytime I come away from it thinking...I don't know...the same feeling from when I stumble across a really long ranting blog from someone I barely know and very much dislike, and it's full of all that person's petty problems that I don't care about. I know this sounds horrible and that a lot of people really adore this book, and I totally respect that. I've never found anyone who agreed with my opinion on this book. But I figure it was worth voicing
I'll admit Salinger did something very interesting stylistically speaking. It's not a bad book, as far as literature goes. But...well...I'm sure you guys get my drift.

Now why would you think you'd get bashed for saying that? Obviously you didn't read this thread.

Of course I read the thread. I wouldn't of posted in it if I hadn't. All of you seemed to praise the work in general, a lot of you specifically mentioned it had impact on your lives. So, I just didn't want to offend anyone. Sorry if I offended you in the process.

Novella,
I enjoy your statment that there are two ways of reading "The Catcher in the Rye". I propose a third way, however. If you look near the beginning of the book (sadly I don't have it with me, so can't quote) Holden says something along the lines of "you probably want to know about my goddamned family and what kind of childhood I had" (again, paraphrasing); this seems to me exactly what Holden would say to a therapist, typifying all therapists as freudians who only care about childhood, and whatnot. Certainly the Narrative is first person, and Holden is the speaker, but why not ask who the audience is? "Cool-Guy" touched on the abrubt nature of the ending to the book. I really don't see it as abrubt at all; it seems to me that there was clearly a problem and, once he decided not to run away and work at a ranch, his parents decided to put him into therapy. If the ending was any more drawn out, it would have been tripe.
"But" you may ask "how does this change the two ways one can read the catcher in the rye?" Simply, Holden may be preforming for his therapist-audience either by trying to disturb him, or trying to tell him what he will want to hear. Holden's point of view may be intentally skewed. The narrator is unreliable. I read the book quite some time ago now, so maybe I'm off my rocker... but thus is life. Sincerely, Michael (AKA Token)

P.S. Infinity, I only caught your comment on holden being in a Mental Hospital after I posted this. Just thought I'd give you the credit you deserve for saying it first. Obviously, I think you're onto something. Damn me for not reading all the posts before opening my fool mouth!

I dislike Catcher in the Rye, and I've never understood all the fuss about it. I think its a mediocre novel filled with clichés and a boring narrator.

i think it's one of my fav books...
Holden is a fantastic character and i think that everyone of us would have had a teacher as antolini...
i loved when holden is talking about the boy who jumped out of the window and mr antolini covered his body with his raincoat and that he wanted to die but he wasn't sure that someone would have cover him...

Haha. It's always fun to see little angsty teenagers go on and on about how wonderful Holden's character is, and how they are exactly like him, etc, etc.
I thought the book was really good, actually. I liked Salinger's style, and he obviously wants us to notice double-natured-ness of the character (Holden talks and talks about catching the kids if they get near the cliff, but when Pheobe is riding the carousel he says that it is best to just let kids do as they wish [and gain experience/ grow up]). Holden isn't a very likable character, but I think he really portrays the American teenager well-- exaggerated sense of superiority, delusions of the inferiority of others and feelings of lonliness and the fear of it.

sanyuja said:
...The third thing could be that I dont have something in me that makes me not like the book and he has all the things needed to understand and appreciate the book. It could be my nature, my age, the sorroundigns which I am in, the way I was brought up, my culture, my language -- anything!!!
These are the things I could think of. Let me know what your point in asking that question was!

sanyuja, you said you didn't really connect with the character and said that it might be because of your culture, and I would think so. I'm from around that area, and asian cultures, which are mostly collectivist, might not be able to relate completely with this very American, indiviualistic angst....Being an American often means being different [and therefore superior] from the rest of the "sheep", and this concept plays a big part in the book, when Holden tries to see himself different, and therefore, somehow, better than others [he's not a 'phony', but they are].
I still liked the book, though. Another awesome book with fun teeny bopper characters is A Separate Peace. Wonderful book, but more about war and wartimes. Still, a must read, and it's really short.

I read Catcher in the Rye when I was age 16 and was enthralled by it.

I still have my original paperback copy. I am now age 56. I imagine that if I try to re-read it now, I will not enjoy it as much, apart from feelings of nostalgia.

Apparently, Salinger wrote the book in an incredibly short space of time.

I recently read that his short story "A good day for Banana Fish" is considered one of the best ever. I want to find that story and read it.

There are some excellent web sites on Salinger. One in particular attempts to demonstrate what a reclusive kurmudgeon he has become. I hope to return to this thread. I am at work now. I want to study it in more detail.

The way they teach it.

I love how all the teachers still tell there classes that Holden was telling the story from a crazy bin. I think it's great the stigma it picked up in what? The 1950's? Was that when it was written? Anyway I like how this book showed the frailties of being human. If you like Salinger then you will like Tennessee Williams and (maybe) Jerzy Kosinski.

Morty said:
I dislike Catcher in the Rye, and I've never understood all the fuss about it. I think its a mediocre novel filled with ... a boring narrator.

I gotta disagree with you here. But... you know... that's just like my opinion. I think Holden's personality comes out right on the first page, when he's going off on that david copperfield crap. I'll never forget that. :D

The Classic, Catcher in the Rye...

Hi all,

I'm Irish, and from visiting the US, I quickly found, in discussions, that one book everybody has read was "Catcher in the Rye" by Salinger. Supposedly, everybody has to read it in high school and most people that talked about said it was a great read or it was their favourite book. I just finished reading it today. I really did enjoy it, but there was something missing - a conclusion and closure on some issues. I really want to know what happens to Holden Caulfield later on in life! The author obviously does this on purpose, but I would like to ask you guys if you feel the same way I do and if you know what all the depression was about and why didn't he finally call Jane Gallagher?!?

And missing all the people he criticised. Was that because criticising them gave him a purpose in his idle life?

Hope someone can help me with these answers! :)

Hi there. The Catcher in the Rye, as these guys point out, has a long thread on it. But just for the sake of welcoming you here, I will say that I trace Holden's depression to the death of his kid brother, whose mitt he carries around and treasures so much. Basically, he's in mourning and seeking the comfort of his family, which seems to elude him because they keep sending him away to different schools.

I first read the book last year and wasn't too impressed with it. I reread it a few weeks back as I'm going to be doing it this term in school. As I read I took notes, and after reading this thread it's helped me understand more about his dream of being the Catcher. I figured it had something to do with innocence, but hadn't linked that to the phonys.

I must say, for me the book wasn't that great. Holden is always exagrearting and contradicting himself through the book. He doesnt realise that the things he complains about are what he often does. When he goes into Ackley's room (through the shower curtain, which he complains about) he doesn't turn off the light when he's asked, this kind of behaviour is exactly what he complains about Ackley for doing.

Anyway... after I get into my essay a bit I'll probably come back here and add a little more. ;)

I did make a mistake though, not searching for threads on it already. But, I probably would have posted one anyway asking about Jane Gallagher. But thats neither here nor there.

i agree with you. it does seem to just cut off suddenly and i'm pretty sure i've heard this same complaint before. i could understand it to a certain point since it leaves you to focus on holden's 'journey'

Back