• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.L. Carr: A Month in the Country

Shade

This slight, superb novel must count as the shortest ever shortlistee for the Booker Prize, at 85 pages. In the year of publication, 1980, it also won the Guardian Fiction Prize (since discontinued in favour of the Guardian First Book Award). So why isn't it better known? Was its success too early, in the days when literary awards didn't make novels into bestsellers? (It's even been made into a film with a pre-P&P Colin Firth)

Perhaps its low-key status is because of its (lack of) length. Or because its themes - nostalgia for one's country, memory, regret, the ruinous effect of the Great War - now seem quaint and more the field of middling plodders like Anita Brookner than the stuff of great modern literature. Whatever the reason, A Month in the Country effortlessly swans into the upper ranks of my notional list of Authentic Overlooked Masterpieces.

The story is, as the title suggests, an account of a month spent in the village of Oxgodby, remembered by Tom Birkin in his old age. In 1920, fresh from the war, he went there to restore (or reveal) a 16th century painting on the church wall which had been covered up for generations. He finds the process restorative, meets several interesting characters and falls in love. It all sounds rather unfashionable, and perhaps it is, but what does fashion matter when the writing sings as well as it does here? Birkin is brought out of himself by the understanding that, once the painting is restored, it will be possible for people to commune across the years not only with the painter, but with the restorer, Birkin himself.

I knew that, whatever else had befallen me during those few weeks in the country, I had lived with a very great artist, my secret sharer in the long hours I'd laboured in the half-light above the arch. So I turned and climbed the ladder for a last look. And, standing before the great spread of colour, I felt the old tingling excitement and a sureness that the time would come and some stranger would stand there too and understand.

It would be like someone coming to Malvern, bland Malvern, who is halted by the thought that Edward Elgar walked this road on his way to give music lessons, or, looking over to the Clee hills, reflects that Housman had stood in that place, regretting his land of lost content. And, at such a time, for a few of us there will always be a tugging of the heart - knowing a precious moment gone and we not there.

(Even his references - Elgar, Housman - are 'unfashionable.' But the latter provides the best of the book's three epigraphs: "Now for a breath I tarry, / Nor yet disperse apart - / Take my hand quick and tell me, / What have you in your heart.")

At times the book reminded me of To Serve Them All My Days, mainly for the deceptively bucolic setting and the deft (rather defter, in my opinion, than Delderfield's) handling of post-war trauma. It's about one-seventh the length of TSTAMD of course, so comparisons are not necessarily helpful. But it shares with that book, I think, a quality of solid good writing - with assured talent stamped on every page - without the fanciness and fussiness that features in so much of the stuff that normally appeals to me. A small miracle.

Thank you for that very interesting book review, Shade. I'll definitely search that one out. I've always enjoyed Delderfield, particularly TSTAMD and A Horseman Riding By. I don't see a lot of books in this sort of category mentioned on TBF. Can you suggest any others? :)

I only read To Serve Them All My Days about a month ago, poppy, so I'm pretty new to Delderfield's stuff myself, and A Month in the Country was the first J.L. Carr I've read. As I said above, this sort of thing tends to be somewhat unfashionable: not actiony enough to be a bestseller, not cool enough to make it into the literary pages, and twenty or thirty years old so it tends to have dropped off the radar.

Yep, I think that may be my problem, Shade, I am out of fashion and very uncool in my tastes :D

Poppy About (seems like) a million years ago, I read God is an Englishman and one other of Delderfield's (sorry the name escapes me) and just loved them. Haven't thought about them in ages though.

I think I'm going to have to hunt them up a little down the road. :)

Back