• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.R.R. Tolkien: The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún

Robert

Tolkien breaks silence over JRR's 'fierce, passionate' poem

astatic.guim.co.uk_sys_images_Books_Pix_pictures_2009_5_5_1241514599354_JRR_Tolkien_in_1973_001.jpg

JRR Tolkien's son Christopher admits the poetic form of his father's latest book, Sigurd and Gudrún, may 'put off' many Lord of the Rings fans

Alison Flood
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 5 May 2009 09.48 BST

The reclusive son of JRR Tolkien has broken his silence to admit fears that fans of his father's work may be "put off" by the verse form of his latest posthumous publication. Responding via fax to a series of questions about The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún, published for the first time today, Christopher Tolkien expressed the hope that it would show a different side to the author of the much-loved classic The Lord of the Rings.

The 500-stanza poem is closely modelled on the Elder Edda, a collection of Norse myths preserved in a 13th-century manuscript, a pedigree Christopher Tolkien described as "unknown territory" for most people.

Telling in verse the story of Sigurd the Völsung and the fall of the Niflungs – also adapted by Wagner into the Ring cycle – The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún sees the hero Sigurd kill the dragon Fafnir (a slaying which may have influenced Tolkien's writing of Bilbo's encounter with Smaug in The Hobbit), take his gold and rescue the Valkyrie Brynhild from her imprisonment on a rock surrounded by fire. Love, magic, jealousy, and, eventually, tragedy in the murder of Sigurd and the suicide of Brynhild ensue.

You may read the entire article here: Tolkien breaks silence over JRR's 'fierce, passionate' poem

I picked up a copy today. Quickly glanced through it and I deem it a worthy purchase.

I would like to buy it now, but I want to try and chisel through some more titles in my TBR pile. I have three other Tolkien books that still need to be read!

Will you let me know how it is, Sparks, once you get around to reading it?

Back