• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.R.R. Tolkien: The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
I picked up The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún after reading this thread. The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún is not an original Tolkien tale, but a reinterpretation of two Norse epic poems: The Lay of the Völsungs and Lay of Gudrún. Tolkien translated the poems and, since the full text of both poems did not survive to the present day, he also filled in the blanks where needed which makes it a reinterpretation.

The book has four introductions: one by Christopher Tolkien which gives context to the hows and whys of the book, one by J.R.R. Tolkien which is a transcript of a lecture he gave on Norse poetry, and one introduction each for The Lay of the Völsungs and Lay of Gudrún. Following each poem is a commentary containing Tolkien's notes and stanza analysis. In my opinion, the transcript of the lecture is worth the price of admission.

OK, so what's it about? Without giving away the plot entirely, it is the story of a cursed treasure of gold passed through three generations. It has everything: the Norse gods, a curse, a dragon, a werewolf, shape changers, tales of epic heroics, and bloody battles! What more could you possibly want?

One thing that really endeared me to the story was the alliteration. The use of alliteration and the challenges of preserving it in translations is covered in the introduction.

Two examples:

I like the one review's following comment: "Beowulf is Dr. Seuss compared to some of this." ;)

That's a fairly accurate statement. Some stanzas have more action in them than most of the total of Beowulf, especially the Lay of Gudrún.

:star4:

'Wake now, wake now!
War is kindled.
Now helm to head,
to hand the sword.
Wake now, warriors,
wielding glory!
To wide Valhöll
ways lie open.'

I take it Tolkien read the original before he wrote Theoden's battle cry in Return of the King, eh? :p Still, looks like ol' JRR done good on these translations. I'll see if I can find an original version for comparison...

Well, the inspiration had to come from someplace. :p

It's not the same passage, but here is an "original" stanza and Tolkien's translation:

Leod lifigendne on locan setton
Huna mænigo. Hringbogan snicon,
wyrmas gewriđene wagum on innan
Slog þa Guđhere gramhycgende
hearpan on hoelstre. Hringde, dynede,
streng wiđ fingre. Stefn ut becwom
heađotorht hylnnan þurh harne stan

The living king they set in a fenced place,
the host of the Huns, Serpents were creeping,
coiled snakes within the walls,
but Guđhere wrathful-hearted struck
the harp in his hiding-place. Rang, resounded,
string against finger. His voice came
clear as a war-cry through the grey rock
in rage against his enemies. So shall a king of the people,
a warlike lord, guard his gold against foes.

As an aside, Christopher Tolkien notes that the lines Stefn ut becwom heađotorht hylnnan þurh harne stan are used in Beowulf lines 2552-2553 as stefn in becom heađotorht hylnnan under harne stan. Neat!

Thanks for posting about the book, Sparks. You have me intrigued, and I'm up for a good challenging read with those kind of elements included. Yep, definitely adding this to my list of books that I need to read. I didn't much enjoy Tolkien's version of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight/Pearl/Sir Orfeo, but these tales sound more like they're right down my alley.

Ok, to be honest the werewolf and shape-shifters really interested me... ;)

I don't want to hijack your thread, so if you feel I'm moving too far off topic, please stop me.

But I have been seeing a great number of Tolkien books that are new after years of only a select few available.

Are these all Christopher Tolkien releases cashing in on his dad's old notes?

Mathius

I have only seen two so far - Children of Húrin and The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún. Children of Húrin had the missing parts filled in by Christopher Tolkein but aside from some light editing and the introductions, pretty much left The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún alone.

I would have thought that Christopher Tolkien was already well off from his father's legacy; however, since he's no longer a spring chicken, I think that he's rushing to release as much material as he can before he dies. Dunno though.

Well, I did just receive a 25% discount coupon from Borders in my email... ;)
But I'll probably just try to get it from the library to see if it's something that I want to own.

Back