• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.R.R. Tolkien: The Lord Of The Rings

Lord Of The Rings in the style of other authors

Lord of the Rings, by PG Wodehouse

"Sam, I've decided to go and overthrow the Dark Lord by tossing his jewellery into a volcano."

"Very good, sir. Should I lay out your crazy adventure garb? I presume that this will pose a delay to tea-time. I would remind your Hobbitship that your Great Aunt Lobellia Sackville-Baggins is expected for tea."

"Blast! I say, bother! How can a chap overthrow the Dark Lord? I suppose I will have to delay my campaign."

"Very good, sir. I believe you will be free in about a decade."

"I'll do it then. Make a note, Sam."

Lord of the Rings, by James Joyce

Old man willow, whistling like a tea pot, shining like a star, oh so brilliant in the dreaming and smoke and by the river, Goldberry's river, dancing like a vision, Bombadil, Bombadil, Bombadillo. Rock of ages, youg and ageless, naked before my eyes like Rivendell Rock, sweet and hard and trusting....

The Lord of the Rings, by A.A. Milne

"What we're going to do," said Frodo, "is we're going to go on an expotition."

"Ooh" said Pippin, "what will we discover?"

"We're not going to *discover* anything, Pippin, we're going to *undiscover* uncle Bilbo's old ring."

"CAN you undiscover things?" asked Sam. "Discovering doesn't seem to be a thing you can UN-, if you know what I mean."

"Sam", said Frodo, sharpening his pencil, "You haven't any brain."

Why Christopher Tolkien doesn't like Peter Jackson

However, the Tolkien Estate cannot do anything about the way New Line adapts the books. In the new Hobbit movie, for example, the audience will discover characters Tolkien never put in, especially women.
You mean, they've - gasp! - adapted the novel? And are including women?!? The horror!

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time," Christopher Tolkien observes sadly. "The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away."

Considering he has been a personal part of The Hobbit and LotR from the beginning and his personal attachment to the material, I can appreciate his frustration of his vision versus everyone else's.

Who actually sold the rights to those books to Saul Zaentz?

Considering he has been a personal part of The Hobbit and LotR from the beginning and his personal attachment to the material, I can appreciate his frustration of his vision versus everyone else's.

Maybe so but his own vision of LOTR is very different from JRR's if the Silmarillion is anything to go by.

I could never really stomach these fantasy books until the movies came out. I enjoyed them then gave these a crack. I liked them but I still don't like fantasy.

I have enjoyed J.R.R. Tolkien's writings since my first reading of The Hobbit back in grade school....
I re-read his saga of Middle Earth from The Silmarillion....Unfinshied Tales....Children of Hurin....The Hobbit...and The LOTR.....just about every year.
Never get tired or bored....some people have "comfort food"....I guess I have "comfort books"
Wish I could say something good about the movies...sigh.....
Christopher Tolkien's works are worth a look as well.
Farmer Giles of Ham is my favrorite story by J.R.R.Tolkien...his short stories are very witty.
Andy

I love both the Lord of the Rings books and the Hobbit, as well as the LOTR and the Hobbit movies. I can't wait to see the next Hobbit movie. I really think that the director shows middle earth as it is in the books. It certainly matches up with how I see it in my head as I am reading. He has managed to put that magic that is in the LOTR books into the movies.

I never quite got The Lord of the Rings. I tried The Hobbit when I was in high school and it didn't take. Even then, I leaned toward more realistic literature than fantasy. Although, I loved a particular sci-fi book (can't remember the name) where a guy made clones of himself and he explored the possibility of having sex with himself. It was strangely alluring. Made me think I was a pervert or something. I returned it to the library and tried to forget I ever read it.

I never quite got The Lord of the Rings. I tried The Hobbit when I was in high school and it didn't take. Even then, I leaned toward more realistic literature than fantasy. Although, I loved a particular sci-fi book (can't remember the name) where a guy made clones of himself and he explored the possibility of having sex with himself. It was strangely alluring. Made me think I was a pervert or something. I returned it to the library and tried to forget I ever read it.

Yeah... This has kind of gone in a bit of an unexpected direction.

I agree. LOTR is one of those books I read over and over because the writing is exquisitely crafted.

It is also one of the very books to have been translated to film in a way that actually did justice to the books, despite what had to be left out, especially the second film "The Two Towers".

Maybe someday I'll re-read them, but there's just so much other stuff out there. I do agree that the movie-book adaptations were decently done. I have a friend who listens to the score on loop while reading certain passages. Anybody else here do things like that?

I like the music but do not repeat reading with the score going. Sometimes I use it writing.

Last edited:
The music was ok, the best movie music, if I many call it that, that I have as yet heard, was the music in Hero. But that is changing the subject just a little bit :p :p back to LOTR, great books need to read them again sometime soon :)

LOTR was the second book I ever read (after The Hobbit). I was 11 and I actually read it twice in a row I was so enthralled by it. I have read it once a year ever since.

I did enjoy the movies. While I was sad they didn't include the Old Forest scene I can understand them cutting it as it wasn't essential to the story.

I did find it unforgivable that they cut the Scouring of the Shire. For me that chapter was the whole point of the two books! The Hobbits couldn't live forever in peace, closed off from the rest of the world. Eventually the world is going to encroach, possibly by war. Gandalf saw that and thus chose Bilbo to go on the adventure, so at least one Hobbit could have some experience with the outside world.

What I would have loved to see in the movies was the meeting between Frodo and Tom Bombadil. But I know it was really not important to the story and so got cut.

Back