• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

J.R.R. Tolkien: The Silmarillion

I'm having information overload! Too many places and too many names to remember. It's interesting stuff, but it may take me a while to finish. I wish I had a map and maybe a summary of events and a character tree. Is it just me?

I cheated and went to the section: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age.

I've read this many times over the years (check my name ), and always found it to be a wonderful book. Admittedly, it is a little heavy on your first approach, but after a few reads it gives you a solid background knowledge to the events which unfold in The Hobbit and LOTR. It is written in a completely different style, and therefore might not be for all Tolkien fans, but if you enjoyed LOTR then you must at least try the Silmarillion.

I am enjoying reading the Silmarillion, especially as a backstory. I can appreciate LOTR even more because of it. I have to take it in doses, though. I find myself getting bogged down in the detail. I have to reread paragraphs to be sure I didn't miss anything because I have the tendency to read too fast. I keep losing track of which elves are which, who they support now or did support, where they started out from and when they left, etc. I'll get through it, but a reread will be in order in a couple of months or so, after I've had a chance to digest it all.

I'm looking forward to rereading LOTR after Silmarillion. I understand more about the Rings already, since I skipped ahead and read Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age. I can see where they got alot of their info for the prologue of the film.

I know that feeling of skipping back every time I forget a character's connections and relationships! I finally read the Sil for the first time last year - after several failed attempts over the years. It took me time to get through it and even after a second reading I still got a bit lost. But I am so glad that I read it, for the extra insights it provides into LoTR and Tolkien's creations. I would recommend it to any Tolkien fan - it adds a whole new dimension to a reading of LoTR.
And Feanor - I like the name - he is my favourite character too!

It is a collection of various stories relating the history of Middle Earth through its various ages, from its creation by the gods - and yes it does include the War of the Ring, although only rather briefly as it is more of an historical overview and background to much of the lore - and it is very enjoyable, if not a little heavy in places :)

Phil

The Silmarillion is, IMO, a masterpiece, far superior to LOTR and one of my favourite books of all time.

The thing I love about the Sil is that it makes LOTR so much better. You really have a sense of the history and that makes the sadness of the passing of the Elves in LOTR so much more poignant. And bittersweet endings are always better, IMO.

I love the Lord of the Rings. My dad wouldn't read me the Silmarillion when I was a kid after he'd finished reading LOTR to me becuse he said it would bore me, and to be fair I guess he'd have been right. Recently I found an ace 1970s print in a charity shop with fold out maps and stuff, but I'm waiting for when I've really got the time to absorb it and get my head round it all before I start. Maybe on holiday next Month.

::revives this thread::

I consider The Silmarillion is one of my favorite books. I probably enjoyed it moreso than The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit put together. However, I am a history and mythology nut, so that could explain that.

For those that are having trouble: take notes. When I first read it, I did this and it helped tremendously. Another thing.. this book isn't to be raced through, but rather absorbed. :D

I'd have to say that my favorite part of The Silmarillion would have to be the Valaquenta, where the Ainu are cataloged.

Professor Tolkien wanted to create a mythology for England -- and he created a damned good one.

its too confusing

I tried to read the Silmarillion but i couldn't manage it. It was all descriptions and i got really confused with all the characters it involved. I will try to read it again somtime though, perhaps in the summer holidays.

It's a wonderful book, showing the depth and scope of JRRT's imagination. It answers so many unanswered questions from LOTR.

Those who havent read it cant possibly appreciate LOTR as much without knowing about the Valar and the Maiar, and therefore the true nature of the Istari and of Sauron. Knowing the origins and history of the elves and the beginnings of men and even the dwarfs of Aule's making gives people much more of an insight into tolkiens world.

My first book-related post and I'm going to have to disagree with (most of) what's gone before!

I hated the Silmarillion. It was barely readable. The prose was dense and impenetrable, there was no action and the book was boring. I had to force myself to read it to the end. I don't think Tolkien is an especially good writer: I didn't think much of LotR until Peter Jackson had worked his magic.

The Silmarillion is a heavy reading. I recommend it only for Tolkien enthusiates. The number of Elven names are mind blowing.. I had a hard time keeping track of each.

But end word.... Great read!

Honeybee said:
My first book-related post and I'm going to have to disagree with (most of) what's gone before!

I hated the Silmarillion. It was barely readable. The prose was dense and impenetrable, there was no action and the book was boring. I had to force myself to read it to the end. I don't think Tolkien is an especially good writer: I didn't think much of LotR until Peter Jackson had worked his magic.

You're not alone, Honeybee, I didn't care for The Simarllion either. It was one of the driest books that I have ever opened.

It's been interesting reading through everyone's comments. I have never read Tolkein even though I've had LOTR sitting on my bookshelves for a while now. I'm very much a fan of Terry Brooks - but wouldn't know if there's any comparison between the two authors. I tend to prefer to read the 'book' before watching the movie and I've seen a few movies in my time based on Tolkien which, I think, is why I've not read any of his books. But this thread has piqued my interest so I might as well invest in a copy of Silmarillrion and go from there. I enjoy books that are full of descriptions (thanks for the info Emmer) and I love mythology :D

The Silmarillion is really an incredible book if you're a fan of J.R.R.'s writing style and can get over the thickness of it. It's definately not a casual read and at times can feel like a historical text. It's always been one of my favorites.

Back