• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

James Alexander Thom

abecedarian

I realised there was not a thread on this author, and since he's a favorite author of mine, and I noticed muggle recently read The Red Heart, I thought I'd start one. Has anyone else read James A. Thom? What did you think? Which titles have you read? Just yesterday, dh and I were at a used bookstore and I found two more Thom titles to add to my wish list: Panther in the Sky, and Long Knife. Long knife is about the Lewis and Clark expedition, so I may have to move that one up higher on Mt TBR..

I just finished reading (actually about 10 minutes ago :) ) The Red Heart by James Thom. Now I am hooked on another author that I just have to read more of. During the reading of The Red Heart I felt sadness and anger and for many of the last 50 pages I had tears in my eyes. A great and enjoyable historical novel taking place in the mid to late 1770's to the early to mid 1880's. about a woman that was taken from her white family and raised by Indians. She was such a respected person that she was eventually to have 2 State Parks named after her, one in Indiana and one in Pennsylvania.

Thanks abecedarian for recommending James Thom to me.

I'm glad you liked it! I've been very happy with the other titles I've read by Mr. Thom. He has a knack for creating believable scenes and characters.Some scenes were very hard to read, knowing that they were representative of actual historic events.. I kept hearing the soundtrack for Last of the Mohicans in the back of my head while I read The Red Heart. This is one author I like to reccomend to folks who say they don't like historical fiction. Ok, I offer him to folks who DO, too;)

Miss Shelf said:
"Follow the River" was fantastic!
Another fan of James Thom speaks out. Of course I should have known as Miss Shelf has good taste in authors. :) ;)

I may elevate "Follow The River" on my TBR list.

Children of First Man is awfully good too...And as I said the other day, The Long Knife may get bumped up towards the crest of Mt TBR... the guy is just an awesome writer.

abecedarian said:
Children of First Man is awfully good too...And as I said the other day, The Long Knife may get bumped up towards the crest of Mt TBR... the guy is just an awesome writer.
Both books are ranked high on my list.Times like this that I wish I read faster. I am a very slow reader and I just started the Robert Jordan book which is over 700 pages long. I also really want to read the new Cormac McCarthy book.:confused:

muggle said:
Both books are ranked high on my list.Times like this that I wish I read faster. I am a very slow reader and I just started the Robert Jordan book which is over 700 pages long. I also really want to read the new Cormac McCarthy book.:confused:

LOL I know..if only we could absorb these books through our skin..SIGH.. but I guess its best we cant:) There's just so many good stories out there!

Well, I elevated Warrior Woman on my list above all the aforementioned books by Thom. I stopped in the library today and that was the book that was available. I should have planned ahead a little more and ordered one of the others from another library in the system but......

Oh well, this book looks very good. I will probably start it tomorrow evening as I should finish the Cormac McCarthy book tonight.

muggle said:
Another fan of James Thom speaks out. Of course I should have known as Miss Shelf has good taste in authors. :) ;)

I may elevate "Follow The River" on my TBR list.

aww, you're making me blush! :eek: But "Follow the River" is really good!

ABC and Miss Shelf.......a quote from a person on another forum, She lives near Wilkes-Barre where "The Red Heart" story is centered and Frances Slocum, of course, is Maconakwa.:

Frances Slocum State Park is beautiful muggles. I haven't actually been there but I've passed it several times. It's not too far off Rt 309 between Kingston and Dallas on the NE side of Wilkes-Barre.

It's nice to see you here muggles. I hope you'll stick around and join in.

Back