• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

James Frey: A Million Little Pieces

As a straight-out novel it might have floated. People write aspects of their experience into novels all the time. Duh.
I read it early on before all the flap and even then much of it read like fiction -- in the sense of unbelievable fact -- but it told a story with its interesting moments. I've read better and worse. So I guess true stories outsell mediocre fiction?

I read half of this book and thought it was ok, I didn't get right through it for some reason! so really do not feel qualified to comment on the full impact of the book. The part that did stick in my mind from what I did read was the description of the horrifying experience in the dentist chair! that was very well written it made your toes curl!

I loved this book, it made me cry. I want to find my Lilly! And as far as it pertains to the Oprah and lying ordeal, here is my view- he lied, yes, but (!) he had an additcion and overcame it, that is what matters.

I loved this book, it made me cry. I want to find my Lilly! And as far as it pertains to the Oprah and lying ordeal, here is my view- he lied, yes, but (!) he had an additcion and overcame it, that is what matters.

I agree about the lying issue--in and of itself the factual basis for the book has little effect on me. I see it this way--I can become attached to fictional characters the same way I can become attached to real people in nonfiction, so what difference would it make if a book is fictional or not.

One of the major caveats I have heard in regards to the misrepresentation of Frey in this book though is the way he constantly puts down AA and its twelve-step program. I've read interviews where people argue that by Frey writing from that angle, he is giving a false hope to addicts who, because of this book, may seek to end their addiction in a way that, many argue, does not seem to work. Now, I see the point, and I guess, never having battled addiction or being close with anyone who has means that I don't have the insight to know whether this argument is justified or not, but it's food for thought.

Back