• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

James Rollins/Clemens interview[march 2005]

Hyperstorm

Hi everyone

this is an informal interview with James Rollins/Clemens done by me, he is an amazing writer who writes both adventure fiction[James Rollins] & Fantasy[James Clemens]

1] I have heard that you used to write short fiction early on in your writing career. At what point to you make the transition from short story to full length novel? Could you post some of your stories for your fans to read?

Jim: Yes, when I first started writing, I dabbled in short fiction because it seemed to fit in my schedule as a business owner and full-time veterinarian. As I read across a wide gamut of genres, I also attempted to write short stories in a wide gamut of genres: fantasy, thrillers, mysteries, etc. After about 3 years, I felt ready to tackle my first novel. As to those first short stories, rest assured that they are safely buried in my backyard and rightly so. That's where they shall remain forever!

2] How do you cope with the demands of writing 2 books on an average per year of 2 diffirent genres

Jim: It does take some discipline, but actually I enjoy writing in two different genres. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. In thrillers, I'd love a bit of magic to get my characters out of some dire situation, but in my fantasies, there are times I'd kill to have a telephone or airplane to solve some plot developments. I also like to vary my writing from the staccato paced thrillers to the more florid pace necessary for worldbuilding a convincing fantasy landscape. So all in all, it's a nice balance.

3] Many of your fans are wondering about your pseudonyms, could you tell us the reasons behind choosing the names "Clemens" & "Rollins"

Jim: Clemens came from my love of Samual Clemens,Mark Twain's real name. I figured since he didn't use his last name, I might as well borrow it. The name Rollins is a derivation of my father's first name. Since I couldn't use his last name, I decided to incorporate his first name.

4] You already write adventure fiction & fantasy, is there any other genre you would ever want to write about? Do you have any aspirations to write screenplays & scripts for the small & big screen?

Jim: I actually have written, or should say co-written a few scripts with a friend in Los Angeles. A couple were optioned but nothing has made it to the big or small screen yet. As to other genres, I wouldn't mind tackling a straight mystery some day. Like I mentioned before, I still read a wide range of genres, and whenever I read a good mystery (and sometimes even bad ones), a part of me goes Hmm, I'd like to try a crack at that.

5] Where do you see yourself ten years from now? Will you ever retire from professional writing?

Jim: Never. I was telling stories from when I was in elementary school and I'll tell them on my deathbed. I even know what my last words will be on that deathbed:, “Oh, not this again.â€.

6] How many books do you plan to write in your "SIGMA" & "GODSLAYER" series & have you thought what you would write about once both these series are over?

Jim: I have no set number of books for these series. They are both open-ended. Each book will stand-alone, but continue with the same characters. What I'll do after that? I have a shoebox full of ideas for characters and plots. Some may end up in the current series others will open up new worlds.

7] The fantasy books, sold as well as your adventure books, would you stop writing the adventure types, and stick to fantasy full time? Or would you ever stop writing fantasy and stick to adventure fiction?

Jim: As I mentioned above, I like the flexibility and room to write in both genres. I feel that as long as people keep reading the books in both genres then I'll keep writing 'em!

8] How bout giving the fans a small teaser or a tidbit bout your new books "MOB" & "SHADOWFALL" that isn't given on your site? How different are these books going to be in terms of your earlier ones in the same genre?

Jim: Both books-Map of Bones and Shadowfall-are culminations of years of practice. In both books, I've stretched what I sought to accomplish in my writing. In Shadowfall, readers will find a darker, more fully realized world: Myrillia, a world of grit and wonder, of base gods and noble men and women, of honor and betrayal, of horror and redemption. In Map of Bones, I am intending to break done barriers between genres and to create a brand new one: it is science and adventure, myth and religion, history and cutting edge technology. But in the end, I hope both books entertain and create worlds that resonate long after the last page is turned.

9] Finally i had to ask this to you, what was the reason for the apostrophe-lanche in your "Banned&Banished" series?

Jim: Ah, the mystery of the apostrophes. There is a reason. A VERY good reason but I will hold off from answering because I do have a plan for a second cycle of stories set in Alasea. The mystery of the apostrophes will be answered in the foreword to the first book in the new series.

Me: boy we can't wait for the second alasean story cycle to start!!!!!

10] Who are your fav authors in various genres such as tech-thrillers,mysteries,adventure fiction,fantasy, sci-fi...how bout giving us the top 5/10 in each genre?

Jim: Okay, but I'm sure I'll be forgetting a few that I'll kick myself later about.

Thrillers: Crichton, King, DuBrul, Nance, Dan Brown
Mysteries: Konrath, Evanovitch, Hiaassen, Cornwall
Adventure: all the old pulp novels (Doc Savage, The Shadow, etc), Matt Reilly, Clive Cussler
Fantasy: George R.R. Martin, Terry Brooks, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Tolkein (of course)
Sci Fi: Louis McMaster Bujold (again), Greg Egan, Dan Simmons, David Brin

11] How does Jim cope up with punishing schedules & stressfull deadlines & what is his advice to his loyal legion of fans on the board & worldwide?

Jim: Take one day at a time and for aspiring writers: do one page at a time. Keep writing, Keep reading. Never give up your dream or let anyone take it from you. It's why we were put on Earth. That and to eat lots of cake!

**END of Interview**

that's some healthy & unheathy advise[only if you are a fitness fanatic, as for me i love cake]

so now its only 1 month left for "Map of Bones" & bout 3 months for "Shadowfall". fans of both genres are waiting with bated breath for the books so heres wishing Jim all the best for the books and the year ahead !!!!!!!!!

you find out more about Jim at www.jamesrollins.com and www.jamesclemens.com

Not me personally, but another member of admin on my site should be getting an advanced reader copy of hsi forthcoming work Shadowfall soon, I'll be sure to let you guys know when we get a review up, if interested.

James Clemens

Hey Ainulindale

could you please tell me when this review comes up,i would really appreciate it

and sellsword dont mention it pal :D

Back