• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jane Austen: Pride And Prejudice

somewhat

kickbox
What do you think of this book? I'm not finished with it yet, but still, don't be afraid to spoil anything, I'm just wondering what other people think of it.

I think it's amazingly written, and really good. :D

Its one of my favorite girly books. I love Jane Austen's books, but P&P is my favorite by far. I'll write more later when I've got more time.

dele said:
...She's a master with words and subtle wit.

Yeah, agreed on that.

Pride and Prejudice used to be my favourit of favourits, but now i guessed since i have changed a lot, and Mr. Darcy and Elizaberth could never be my favourit romantic (?) literature anymore. Their figures have been fading into a past, together with Mr. Rochester, Jane Eyer.

other similar novels are: little women, sense and sensibility,Wuthering Heights.... if you like to try them. but i don't know anything about the current books of that style.

i love this book, it's definitely one of my favorites. jane austen brilliantly writes about the complexities of courtship and marriage in a time when women often had to worry more about marrying for their future than for love. that aside, i think it's a timeless novel. funny and witty too

P&P is my all time favorite book. I think I read it for the first time when I was 15. I read it about once a year. This is definitely Jane Austen's book, but Sense & Sensibility is great too.

After reading it, I wanted to be Elizabeth Bennet. I thought she was so witty and well spoken.

i think Pride and Prejudice is one of those books that you either love or hate. my sister hated it; she never finished it. me? i never tried to read it.

I love this book and would consider it one of my all-time favourite novels, which is quite surprising since usually I read crime, thrillers or sf/fantasy. There was just something special about it that I can't quite figure out what it is - that's probably part of the magic though.

Not actually read any other Jane Austen's though. What would anybody recommend I read next?

Pride and Prejudice is a great book. It was the first Jane Austen novel I read and was my favourite for a long time. Now my favourite is Northanger Abbey in which she writes about the silliest heroine of all time. :)

Mmmmm Pride and Prejudice. My first brish with it was the BBC series with Colin Firth as Darcy. I loved the story, the everything, so I read the book and loved that too.

I love Austen's subtlety, she has this way of saying so much by saying nigh nothing. I've read my mum's old battered volume of this book two or three times but have yet to break open my own new volume - I had to buy it when I moved out, I can't live in a house without that book :p Pathetic, I know.

My daughters reading it as part of her course work towards her Gcse for next yr!

I think its to heavy for a 14 yr to take in!

And shes not enjoying it at all!

I think giving books like this to young kids will put them off reading all together!
And thats a shame!

I love it! I love how Austen manages to capture characters and their reasons for doing what they do. It's a great story of how misunderstandings cause problems, and everything works out in the end.

What might be making it hard to get through Austen's books is the way women were single-minded in the pursuit of husbands, and propriety. (I was at first disgusted by the women's twittering about men, till I understood it was the way things were back then.) You have to remember that it was a different time and women had no alternative but to marry, and they had to marry as well as they could to ensure their comfort. If they were in love with the man, so much the better. As for propriety, a woman's reputation was easily destroyed, so they had to mind their P's and Q's. It might help to read something of the times of the period such as: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6F0gbUPCa6&isbn=0810932857&itm=10

ruby said:
I think giving books like this to young kids will put them off reading all together!
And thats a shame!
That depends entirely on the reader. I was 14 when I read it the first time, perhaps 15. I enjoyed it immensely. Heck, I even read it in English(not my native lang.) back then.

Jemima Aslana said:
That depends entirely on the reader. I was 14 when I read it the first time, perhaps 15. I enjoyed it immensely. Heck, I even read it in English(not my native lang.) back then.

Your right it does depend on the reader and sadly my daughter is not into books!

VTChEwbecca said:
Its one of my favorite girly books. I love Jane Austen's books, but P&P is my favorite by far. I'll write more later when I've got more time.

It's NOT a girly book. It's bitingly satirical.

The reason I didn't like this book was because I didn't like Elizabeth. She was so stubborn and haughty that it made me physically cringe whenever she did, well, pretty much anything. I loved the writing, and all the subtle, wry humor, but I didn't love the protagonist, and that pretty much ruined the experience. I liked all of the supporting roles--Darcy, Bingley, Jane, Mr. Bennet, etc.--just not Elizabeth.

This book is on my readinglist. It's waiting besides my bed, but first I have to finish Gone with the Wind by Maragaret Mitchell.

I love, love, love Jane Austen - she's got the most fantastic ironic eye and wit in every sentence and has I think created some of the most unique characters (Lizzie Bennet, Mr Collins, Mr & Mrs Palmer, Emma Woodhouse, Miss Bates, Catherine Morland, Mr & Mrs Bennet, Lucy Steele, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Mrs Jennings, Henry Tilney, Mr Darcy, etc, etc, etc) in literature.

As far as how easy it is to read Austen - when I first tried to read P&P when I was about 10, I never got into it and gave up partway. Now it's one of my favorite novels ever. So don't give up completely if at first you don't succeed.

Back