• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jeffrey Archer

piedro

well, i am a little surprised that in a UK based forum i havent heard a reference to Jeffrey Archer in the days since i joined it:confused:
he is one of my favourite authors."Kane and Abel" and "Not a penny more..." are of course his acclaimed masterpieces but my personal favourite is "
A Matter Of Honor as it is the most exciting book i have ever read
looking forward to your opinions

I have never read any of his books, I think he's got such a bad/sad image and it probably puts me off reading his books, I keep saying I'll read one cos my Mum thinks he's quite good.

DONT READ HONOR AMONG THIEVES
it is by far his worst book and you will never read any of his books again
start with "NOT A PENNY MORE NOT A PENNY LESS
It got the award for the best debut book by an author
Its about these 4 guys who try to get back a million dollars from a conman who has swindled them

I have to say that ive never been bothered with his books - as Missy said he's such a bad character that i dont really fell like giving him my money by buying his books!! :)

Phil

Originally posted by piedro
DONT READ HONOR AMONG THIEVES
it is by far his worst book and you will never read any of his books again
start with "NOT A PENNY MORE NOT A PENNY LESS
It got the award for the best debut book by an author
Its about these 4 guys who try to get back a million dollars from a conman who has swindled them
Advisement taken.

What's wrong with his character? Fill me in.

I've read a few of Jeffrey Archer's books and thought they were great. "Shall we tell the President?" is one of my favourites.

Here in the US you don't hear much about him. What's he done?
Never read his books, they don't seem to be marketed to me. I do love that moment in Bridget Jones Diary, after describing the book they're marketing as the best book ever written, having to look across the room and say, "except of course for YOURS Lord (?) Archer . . "

Is it Lord or just Sir? May have to go figure out the difference again . . .

What's wrong with his character? Fill me in.

i would like you to tell what he has done corythosaurus however i am sure that it would be censored here!!!!!!!!

but to everyone in general, i dont understand why you shouldnt read his books if he is a bad character.As a person i have absolutely no respect for him but that makes no difference to the fact that he writes marvellous books (which is vouched for by people worldwide)
at least there is no harm in trying his books fellas!

Well Jeffrey is a cheating, lying two faced weasel which I guess is the modern requirements for a politician these days anyway, I don't know if he's still in Jail or been released.

He might be a great author and I would love to read one of his books and find out for myself but he's got such a sleezy image in the UK, I just can't bring myself to buy one and I'd feel like I was supporting him by reading something he wrote which is something I don't want to do. It will take a long time for him to shed the disgraced mp reputation but it's hard luck, he was guilty.

Definately just Lord Archer, Ashlea, one good reason to get rid of hereditary peerages i suppose :p Certainly no good reason to make him a Sir!!

'I Knight you Sir Archer, honoured for services to lying through your teeth about everything' :D

Phil

Originally posted by missy six
Well Jeffrey is a cheating, lying two faced weasel which I guess is the modern requirements for a politician these days anyway, I don't know if he's still in Jail or been released.

umm... the last i heard (tho i am not sure if this is accurate) he was released and that too after just half his sentence was up.
he was released on "good behaviour" but reports said that he misbehaved quite a lot with prison officials. he also got state of the art facilities to write books in jail including internet:)
* damn what have i done??? now he will get more hate stuff here sigh*

lol
piedro

I've read "Kane & Abel" and thought it a good read. I've also read a few of his short stories and some of them are pretty clever.

With regards to his stay at "Her Majesty's Pleasure", he's written two prison diaries. The first diary describes his time in one of London's maximum security prisons, the second diary describes his time at a lower security prison in Norfolk.

He's currently released on bail, and I assume working on his third prison diary.

The diaries give an eye-opening account of prison life, and he claims not to have had an favourable treatment in prison.

The thing is, wasn't he exposed as having a rather cushty stay in Prison, I can't remember all the details now but I'm sure it made the headlines, he also got 'let out' for the night to attend some big dinner party or something and he was spotted taking his wife out one evening when he should have been inside.

What really annoys me about Archer is his smug audacity to presume he can get away with anything he wants to just because of who he is and who he knows.

look missy(say whats ur name?)
millions of people lie ... thousands of people commit adultery...hundreds of people commit perjury(gee.. i dont seem to be too good with figures)
thats hardly a reason to be so vociferous against him and biased against reading his books . i get your reason that you really hate him and dont feel like helping him. but if you read one , you will in no way be " supporting " him.all you will be doing is entertaining yourself over a good read. and if you still dont agree .. you will be 'supporting' his books and not HIM.
anyways just chill out allright? we are here to have fun.
hey Darren, thanks for updating me with his details
P S - i think this thread is heading the wrong way

I would like to hear more about his books, what are they like?

Anyway, I disagree about reading his books doesn't support him, even if you check it out at the library you are telling the library that you like books by that author and encourage them to buy more.

what do you mean chill out? I'm hardly having a seizure over him, I'm just explaining why he got himself a bad name and why I don't like him. Hate him? NO, I don't hate him but he's not a warming character either and unfortunately his image puts me off reading his books. I did assume that we are allowed to discuss Authors, it's not my fault if he has more scandal associated with his name than his books.

well, u called him a cheating lying twofaced weasel(?) with all criteria satisfying for a modern day politician and having "smug audacity to presume he can get away with anything he wants "
.... i am sure that wasnt mentioned in his prison sentence. so i guess i was really wrong in assuming that you hated him ,was i?

i disagree that he has MORE scandal associated with him than his books. he has appeared more in papers for his books , in my country at least.
scandals are temporary , books are immortal . his books have been bestsellers and been worldwide appreciated and thats how his book lovers will always think of him

Originally posted by Ashlea
I would like to hear more about his books, what are they like?

Anyway, I disagree about reading his books doesn't support him, even if you check it out at the library you are telling the library that you like books by that author and encourage them to buy more.

and thats exactly what i am trying to do ashlea..i am telling the world that i like his books and encourage people to buy more.and thus i am supporting only his books , not him as a person or whatever he has done. i dont consider a man's reputation to be a criteria for people buying his books.. that is a totally different issue.unfortunately the more i try to drag this thread towards his books , the more it seems to wander elsewhere.

anyways i am glad that i finally got a query about his books
he writes thrillers, suspense , emotion ... just about everything.
as i said his first book "Not a penny more , not a penny less" got the award for the best debut book by an author

after Kane and Abel a life saga and enmity between two individuals , which was his masterpiece , i recall someone in BBC saying that he is the best storywriter alive

he has written international thrillers likeShall we tell the President , The eleventh commandment , A Matter of Honor

his short story collections A Quiver full of arrows , A Twist in the Tale , Twelve red herrings have been most appreciated
well thats enough i guess:)
piedro

Originally posted by piedro
well, u called him a cheating lying twofaced weasel(?) with all criteria satisfying for a modern day politician and having "smug audacity to presume he can get away with anything he wants "
.... i am sure that wasnt mentioned in his prison sentence. so i guess i was really wrong in assuming that you hated him ,was i?

i disagree that he has MORE scandal associated with him than his books. he has appeared more in papers for his books , in my country at least.
scandals are temporary , books are immortal . his books have been bestsellers and been worldwide appreciated and thats how his book lovers will always think of him

Actually, someone was asking why he got such a bad image, I responded. I'm sorry you don't like my opinions so I'll keep out of your thread and leave you to it. So much for an Author discussion!

Back