• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jeffrey Archer

i agree with piedro that scandals are temporary and books are permanent.he definately has more fame for his books than his scandal and only those who have not read his books will say the opposite. what is the point raking in his mistakes again and again and again? in author discussion i think we should discuss his writing style and prowess shouldnt we?
i am a big fan of his books.i have read almost all of them and my favorite is "The Eleventh Commandment" and his short stories in "A Twist in the Tale"

missy and piedro raise an interesting point. Do you have to like the author to like their books? I'm sure there are plenty of talented people who are not particularly pleasant people to know.

After reading Archer's diaries (has anyone else read them BTW), there's a certain amount of charisma there and you can't help sympathising with him. Maybe that's why he's gotten away with so much - the likeable rogue?

Darren.

I'm sure Hemingway was a real jerk to know. Lots of authors are on the manic-depressive side, too, which can be exhausting to be around.

Jeffrey Archer is, was one of my favorite authors.
I have read all fiction books written by him and even multiple readings of them never fail to amaze and delight me.
I have been surprised to find how relatively unknown he is in USA and other countries because in Pakistan, among those people literate in English, his works are well-acclaimed and in good demand.

Even though everybody raves about the masterfullness of Kane and Abel [Which admittedly is a great book] it is not my favorite book; not by a long margin.

For me The Prodigal Daughter, a sequel [of sorts] to Kane and Abel is his best work.
As the crow flies is another excellent richly worded narrative whose dry, elucidative tone never ceases to delight me.

Even so, most of his works can be monogamous in nature, if not in plot. Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less and The Eleventh Commandment for me are the obvious exceptions.
Kane and Abel, As the Crow Flies, First Among Equals and The Fourth Estate are obvious example.
His short stories are also pleasing and often contain surprising twists. For me his style revolves around a nicely woven yet simplistic plot and it is not the plot itself, but the accompanying events and the fullness of the narrative which makes reading his works a rich and fullfilling experience.
In short, I love his narrative style.
What I feel wanting in some of his works is the lack of first person narrative and strong singular characters.

now that you say it , even i was surprised that people in USA didnt know him when he was so popular in India
there is something about his narrative style that makes you not want to keep his book down which i have not seen in any author to that extent.
the lack of strong singular characters? what about Florentyna kane , Abel Rosnovski, and the villian of Not a penny... ???

bad husband yes
political mastermind no
perjurie in the court yeah
making profits of his time in prison, of course (you know you would be writting the diaries in you were in his shoes)
one of the best writer i ever read, you bet

actually if you want to find whats the scandal just make a search in the uk newspapers websites. especially the guardian
i think he just had bad luck and got caught, i mean politicians cheat and lie all the time and get away with it. and he was a politician before being a writer

im a big fan, i still have to read the prison diaries, honor among thieves and as the crow flies (which im about to start)

people hardly know what an author its like, but think that writting a good book is his/her good action which would last for a long time around, wish everybody have the talent to do something that shall outlive us.

if you think that for buying his books you are suporting him (by the way, all his books or only the prison diaries which are the ones directly related to his actual position? it an economic suport or a philosophic one?), and dont want to do it, then you can buy them second-hand that way youll be supporting people that in order to get some money sell old books (could be you, could be me, god knows ebay and second hand libraries are full of people like us ;) )
its a little strange for me that there is so little mentions of archer in the forums, but piedro if you want to discuss about his books, im all yours.

I am all yours too michel :)

tell me about "As the crow flies" when you finish it. whats it about?

the only books that i havent read are the prison diaries, First among Equals, Sons of fortune. have you read them? how are they?

I'd recommend you read the Daily Mail. Its just about as mind-numbing as Jeffrey Archer with just the same lack of morals and political nous. All you Archers fans should enjoy it. If you're not reading it already that is.

piedro said:
I am all yours too michel :)

tell me about "As the crow flies" when you finish it. whats it about?

the only books that i havent read are the prison diaries, First among Equals, Sons of fortune. have you read them? how are they?

you have to read first among equals, its one of his best, sons of the fortune its ok youll have a good time reading, but not as good as others, its very like kain & abel and first among equals, so there is nothing new, somebody say that most archer books were soup operas, and i think this one would fell in the category

hmm.. i'll keep that in mind

archer books soap operas??????? i thought soap operas werent supposed to end :D
i dont think the books are melodramatic or dragging, which is all i know about soap operas.

Skycat, can you tell me a bit more about daily mail??

hey piedro, i just finished yesterday "as the crow flies" 800 pages in ten days, no bad ( maybe i need to get a life, or some sun a least ), it was great, probably one of the best archer novels, it has several elements from other novels, but it doesnt feel like cliche, its very well narrate from the point of view of different characters in different time periods, i give it a 9.5 over ten, you really should read this one. im rather not tell you about the plot since i dont want to spoil.

hmm will read it
just started my vacations. hope i read some books now and not just spens time online like the last vacation.
i think i should read First among equals and As the Crow Flies soon

As The Crow Flies is one of my favourite books by Jeffrey Archer.
Basically its about a man who grows up listening to his Grandfather making his living on a market stall in East London. However he has dreams of a store that will sell everything under one roof. The book is how he goes about finding his dream.

I also love First among equals-4 mps all wanting to become prime minster.

piedro said:
well, i am a little surprised that in a UK based forum i havent heard a reference to Jeffrey Archer in the days since i joined it:confused:
he is one of my favourite authors."Kane and Abel" and "Not a penny more..." are of course his acclaimed masterpieces but my personal favourite is "
A Matter Of Honor as it is the most exciting book i have ever read
looking forward to your opinions
I've heard of him, what other books has he done?

I don't know what he's done....don't care if he's made some statement or hurts some super souls like Mel Gibson, but to be deeply candid, Archer is a wonderful writer. I think there's a very big similarity between him and Ken Follett, if I am right..... Read Kane and Abel, then judge him.

I'm not bothered about his private life. I wouldn't put him up there as a great author either though.

I think his storylines are very good, and he is certainly easy to read. The type of novel I would read on holidays, when I really wanted to relax.

Kane and Abel was quite good, and First among Equals as well. But Frederick Forsythe or Robert Ludlum he ain't.

Actually, someone was asking why he got such a bad image, I responded. I'm sorry you don't like my opinions so I'll keep out of your thread and leave you to it. So much for an Author discussion!

i have read his books but because of his character selfish lying untrustworthy i could go on and on,i do find it difficult to take him seriously

Back