• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jennifer Fallon

I managed to get my hands on Medalon, which I found a fair read. Not too bad at all :)
Just wondering though is it worth continuing with the series? Whats the best of her books to read?

I read Medalon a few months back, it was good enough to keep me interested. I'd say it's pretty standard, middle of the road Fantasy.

She is FANTASTIC.

I just recently read The Immortal Prince and can't wait for the next book!

I love that all of her series are so different. It's so hard to create an entirely different world, and she creates a new one for each series. Absolutely amazing. And commendable.

Subject close to my heart. I love Jennifer Fallon's writing. All of it.

Demonchild trilogy to start, extremely fun to read and not only does she do characters well and world building well but she excels at political intrigue.

Wolfblade Trilogy comes next, again engaging characters, set in same world as Demonchild but from different viewpoints, and this series shows a definite improvement in her writing, not that it was bad to begin with.

Second Sons Trilogy is best of all. I tend to gush when I talk about this trilogy. Now unlike the previous books, this series is not pure fantasy. It is more accurately Science Fantasy. There is no magic but plenty of politics and a corrupt religion that replaces science with false visions. I can't recommend this series enough.

I have reviews up on the Demonchild trilogy and on Second Sons trilogy on my blog if you want to take a look. I haven't gotten around to reviewing Wolfblade yet.

Mulluane - have you read any of Tide Lords yet? I have to say so far it's my favorite of her works. Which is saying a LOT.

I totally understand that! Well, hopefully things will fall into place and you'll get to read it soon!

I have book 3 and 4 of the Tide Lord series. Anyone else read them yet? I can't express how good they are. As much if not more intrege then the Second Son's Trilogy.

Just finished the Tide Lords series and it was worth the expense of importing books 2-4 from Australia.

I loved Ms. Fallon Second Sons, though I thought the Medalon trilogy was just ok and have not read yet its prequel trilogy, but I had so much fun reading Immortal Prince - it was my last finished book of 08 out of about 240 or so - so I *had* to order books 2-4 around New Year from Australia and book 2 which was a bit back-ordered arrived Friday with books 3-4 about a week earlier, so this weekend I binged on the series and it was superb.

Though Immortal Prince just does not hint at the depth of the series and where it goes, and actually only the end of volume 2 starts revealing the ultimate course of the series, so in a sense books 1/2 and books 3/4 are quite different in nature, and I recommend not even reading the blurb for book 3 or 4 before you read book 2.

I am pretty sure the ending will be talked about when the series fully hits the US market, but I loved it and after all Neal Stephenson pulled something similar in Anathem

Read the prequel to Medalon, it's better. Another really good 2 book story is Dave Duncan's Children of Chaos and Mother of Lies.

the problem with Fallon is that she needs to have worldwide releases. Waiting years for a book to hit the US market when it's already being sold as a Aussie used book is rather annoying. It's almost like a slap in the face.

Anyway, she is obviously going to still write about the Tide Lords. With a killer ending like that how can she not? If so, I assume the first one will be released in like 2010 and the second in 2015. I'll wait.

Read the prequel to Medalon, it's better. Another really good 2 book story is Dave Duncan's Children of Chaos and Mother of Lies.

the problem with Fallon is that she needs to have worldwide releases.

I plan to read Wolfblade at some point. I started it 2 or 3 times so far and never got hooked - but I have 100+ books like that that are waiting for the right moment to read them, so I am pretty sure I will get to it sometime

Prequels are limiting to a large extent and I rarely enjoy them as much. One of the best ever prequel I read was Sean Russell River into Darkness duology, prequel to the Magic and Moontide duology - all 4 books big time favorites of mine, all read on publication in the 90's - and I still wished I would have read the "prequel" first

Dave Duncan is not for me, tried some of his books even recently including the Arena and the Children 1, the writing style does not agree with me.

The one recent series that was as much fun as the Tide Lords that I stayed way too late to read each book was Brent Weeks Night Angel, lots of twists and turns too, but more traditional epic with standard props, so I would not say the series are similar except in the twists/turns/revelations part.

I completely agree that the marketing of Tide Lords here in the US is suboptimal at best, but...

I also would love a new series continuing Tide Lords but I am not sure it's going to happen - I have no idea btw what Ms. Fallon's next project is except for an announced short story set in the Second Sons universe.

As soon as I get some extra income, I'm planning on ordering the rest of The Tide Lords series.

Sillyorangecat - If you are looking for authors on par with Fallon, I would recommend Juliet Marillier, Sara Douglass, and Sharon Shinn.

I enjoyed the Medalon series. I'm on the second book of the Second Sons series and it's very good. I love the worldbuilding, the characters, the conflicts, and how there are no easy solutions. In some ways, she reminds me of GRRM. These books are so much fun, easy to get through, and it's definitely keeping me interested and intrigued. She's a winner. :D

Back