• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jerry Spinelli

liv

As simple as most of his books are to read they are very insightful. He has written Maniac Magee (Newberry Winner), Crash, Stargirl and Milkweed to name a few. What do you guys think of his writing?

Wow, does no one ever post in the Children's Fiction Forum? This shocks me, because there are so many amazing books out there that fit in this catagory, and I know you all have read most of them. TALK! PLEASE!

I've only read Stargirl and Maniac Magee, but I have a fondness for those two books. I can't imagine it if I were allergic to pizza, for one. :D Stargirl is a different kind of love story, definitely not one that is sunshiny happy and crystal clear. It helped me get through a difficult phase of my life with its lessons on life, people, and growing up. Maniac Magee made me appreciate the value of friendship, family, and not being allergic to pizza. :D

Is he the author of Loser? If so, then I have to say that, in this case at least, he certainly does not appeal to me. The book is completely uneventful, the central character, who from the synopsis sounded like a truly free and interesting individual turned out to in fact be dull, irritating and at times sycophantic, not avoiding peer pressure because he did not feel affected by it, but instead because he was too stupid to realise how to respond to it, though he wanted to!

I've read Stargirl and I thought it was a wonderful book. I teach 5th grade and it actually reminded me of one of my former students... She was a true Stargirl.

I've read Library Card and Maniac McGee. There were some very interesting moments throughout Maniac McGee. It was so funny that some of the little kids wanted him to take baths with them.

I really liked Who Put That Hair In My Toothbrush?; it was very amusing. I like his writing style but I haven't read him since I was in junior high.

I recommend Wringer. It's a good look at conformity and expectations from a child's point of view.

the only one i have read is stargirl, and i LOVED it. i have it, i think its one of the best books ever written for teens. its actually decent and i loved the style. normally i avoid modern day books and teen books *coughcough the princess diaries cough* but i tried stargirl and its become a favorite...hmm...i should read it again.

Stargirl: Fun and easy read - I enjoyed it.
Maniac Magee: Very good book to overcome racial differences.
Wringer: Still reading it...,
Library Card: My kid certainly enjoyed it - I haven't read it.
Loser: Now this book was very interesting. I discussed this book with my kid, with the help from the questions in the back of the book. One of the questions stated something like, how would he (the loser boy) would turn out later in life? And my daughter said something like: I think he is a late bloomer. And I had to be more than content with that answer and we discussed on to hope that he will become another regular or better person in the near future.

Back