• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Banville: The Book Of Evidence

Sybarite

The Book of Evidence by John Banville

'Extraordinary' is a grossly overused word, but it is not risking accusations of hyperbole to apply it to John Banville's The Book of Evidence.

It's difficult to know exactly where to begin with this - the basics are that Freddie Montgomery steals a Dutch old master and murders a young woman in the process. The book is his account of what led up to his crimes, how he committed them and the aftermath.

Or is it? Here is the first question. The narrator seems to make errors in the telling of his story, go back and reconsider things, remember other things suddenly - all the things that seem to give it the mark of being a genuine account. But there is enough of a twist, right at the end, to cast doubt in the reader's mind - not certainty, but doubt.

And this fits perfectly with one of the themes of the book - the roles that we play. Freddie, it seems, cannot act the kind of role that society demands of him. The evny that he notes for theatre actors mirrors his own apparent inability to play the role of living a 'normal' life. But for Freddie, a 'normal' life is a lie and, all around him, are people living lies. Daphne, his wife, is a closet bisexual. So is his mother. His father was having an affair - so, possibly, was his mother. His friends are living lies too, playing the roles expected of them by society and keeping their real selves hidden behind closed doors - Wally the bar owner and his young shag; Charlie, with his dodgy business dealings and partners, and the question over his sexuality.

So it could be said that Freddie does what he does honestly - or at least that is part of how he attempts to portray it.

On the other hand, it could be said that, having committed the crime with (if we are to believe him) no real planning, Freddie creates a role for himself - that of the criminal, the prisoner. So the crime allows him to do what otherwise he cannot.

So the murder is both his apotheosis and his downfall - and his account maintains a sense of ambivalence about whether what it transforms him into being is good or bad.

What does occur as a result of the crimes is that Freddie finally takes responsibility for something - he admits his guilt. Yet even this comes against a background of his needing to spend time attempting to convince us - or himself? - that others are to blame for everything in his life; his parents, for starters.

And he is obsessed with women - the painting that he steals fascinates him to the extent that he creates a backstory for the subject. In it, he imagines that the act of being painted teaches the subject "how to die". This woman that captivates him is long dead, but his backstory imagines death for her. Freddie's relationship with his mother is troubled - he refers to her more than once as a "bitch" and behaves as though she owes him a living. He finds it entirely easy to run away and leave his wife (and child) potentially in physical danger. His descriptions of both Anna and Foxy show his very mixed attitudes toward them both. Later, he fantasises about sex with all the women in his life, including his mother and a young child.

Does all this suggest that at root, Freddie fears women - cannot control them, feels that he is controlled by them, blames them for everything? Does it suggest that - how Freudian is this - that he is scared of sex and blames them for that? Or is he insecure in his own sexuality? He envies Wally's flamboyant gay customers, his relationships with women are difficult etc. The crime solves his inability - unwillingness - to accept responsibility. His refusal to flee, knowing that he will eventually be caught - and looking forward to it - his comfort at being handcuffed ... all these things suggest a desire to be constrained, to be dominated. Perhaps we're back to sex again - Frankie needs to be dominated; he needs strong women (or men?) to control him.

The writing is exemplary. Banville's prose is a gloriously sensual ride - Freddie's sensualism is superbly conveyed by the language: indeed, his desire for a dictionary in prison, his relishing the words he employs, are sensual acts. And this language, together with the sense that Freddie takes some sort of pleasure in what he has done, that he relates it (or this version of it) with such relish, is what is so reminiscent of Nabokov's Lolita.

Much here is smoke and mirrors. We cannot know what Freddie really thinks or knows or has done - because he will not give us a guarantee that he is telling the truth. So we cannot know what Banville really thinks - or intends us to think. Perhaps it is enough that this slender tome seems to have more layers than millefeuille and leaves you feeling that you've been staring into a bottomless sea that you will never be able to fully fathom. That leaves the reader feeling both incredibly frustrated, desperate to comprehend more - and also incredibly satisfied.

A magnificent read.

Banville's Books Are Stellar Even When Black

SYBARITE

You are spot on with your review of BOOK OF EVIDENCE. We have a untrustworthy narrator whose story is mind boggling and Banville keeps the narrative flowing with style. I won't even try to add anything to what you so eloquently wrote.

I, too loved this book and am glad this was my introduction to John Banville.

[And I don't have problem with his writing as Benjamin Black ... I do take issue with a few articles/reviews that make it sound that by writing CHRISTINE FALLS he's somehow slumming. Bah! Humbug!] :rolleyes:

GERBAM

I read and loved The Sea, Sybarite, but that's all I've read of Banville so far. I have Book of Evidence on order (due to your review) and now I'm curious as to how you'd rate his other books. I just now checked Stewart's site and I didn't find Banville there - Banville being just about the only author I didn't find.

For anybody who hasn't checked it out yet, you really do need to visit Stewart's site. You must be some prodigious reader, Stewart.

John Banville/benjamin Black

I Didn't Read The Two Books You Read But 'the Book Of Evidence' And 'the Untouchable' Along With The Two Mysteries, 'christine Falls' And 'silver Swan'.

Based Upon His Work And Reputation He Is One Of The Most Respected Writers Of The Day.

The 4 Books I Have Read Are All Excellent, He Is A Wonderful Writer.

I've added this one to my TBR pile, as I've heard nothing but good things about it. Thanks for the review, Sybarite. :)

I loved The Book of Evidence to say the least, and yes Freddie certainly is an unreliable narrator, Banville's specialty I do believe. I did have the impression that Freddie didn't plan too much of his life in general, that he sort of 'fell into' life and acted a great deal on impulse.

Whatever it is though, you must continue Freddie's story in Ghosts and Athena, two of the most delicious continuations I have had the pleasure to read. Honestly the third one left me wanting more of dear Freddie.

I'm reading Shroud right now, and another [more] unreliable perfectly smarmy narrator you couldn't find. Lovely. :cool:
He almost makes Freddie look reliable.

After reading this review I may give Banville another try. I did not enjoy Christine Falls even a little bit. Just sayin':confused:

Very nice review, Sybarite,
Banville is now on my 'read-all-of' list, and I'm enjoying my seventh.
He writes with a different style, and his characters, like Freddie from the trilogy, are not necesssarily appealing. But they are irresistible! At least to me.

Oh, I must be in heaven. Yes, Banville Banville Banville. He is such a marvellous (inspiring, unique, amazing) writer that I - sometimes, oh sometimes - don't know what to do w/ him. I am angered by the reviewers amd readers and critics who slur out adjectives such as 'overwrought', 'florid' and, worse yet, 'showy' in attempts to describe his style...imo Banville is nothing short of a (modern, contemporary, what have you) mastermind writer.

P.S. About the Book of Evidence it has been said that there be traces of Camus, Beckett, Nabokov et al. However, I am inclined to cry out that Banville's Freddy is more human(e) than most of his literary counterparts, which makes the novel all the more chilling (something similar to Humber Humbert).

alw..
If you enjoy our Freddie, you'll probably like the Ripley books by Patricia Highsmith, think Freddie without the pangs of conscience. :D
Although in the second and third, I do detect a certain amount of...not conscience, that's too strong a word for this, but at least some feeling for justice. Odd sounding I know, but interesting to read. :)

BANVILLE = NABAKOV; CAMUS; BECKETT in spirit

Oh, I must be in heaven. Yes, Banville Banville Banville. He is such a marvellous (inspiring, unique, amazing) writer that I - sometimes, oh sometimes - don't know what to do w/ him. I am angered by the reviewers amd readers and critics who slur out adjectives such as 'overwrought', 'florid' and, worse yet, 'showy' in attempts to describe his style...imo Banville is nothing short of a (modern, contemporary, what have you) mastermind writer.

P.S. About the Book of Evidence it has been said that there be traces of Camus, Beckett, Nabokov et al. However, I am inclined to cry out that Banville's Freddy is more human(e) than most of his literary counterparts, which makes the novel all the more chilling (something similar to Humber Humbert).

LOL LOL LOL
I am w/you completely. Can anyone tell me what drawback is entailed in being compared to CAMUS, BECKETT and NABAKOV?

LOL LOL LOL
I am w/you completely. Can anyone tell me what drawback is entailed in being compared to CAMUS, BECKETT and NABAKOV?

There may not be 1, but (& I do not say this lightly, mind you [revering as I am of the three writers mentioned]) I am suggesting that Banville's characters are more human/humane than Camus' and Beckett's and - maybe, even - Nabokov's (with the exception of Humbert Humbert).

& by human I do not mean "likeable" or any such adjective (god knows Freddy, in many ways, is a repulsive character).

Back