• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Barnes: Appreciation Thread

Oberon

I was quite fortunate in actually having a small hand in publishing John Barnes's first novel, The Man Who Brought Down the Sky. He was hailed at that time as another Heinlein, which is great praise but also limiting and hard to live up to. He has done very well and has a number of terrific novels among his growing list.

I just recommended to a different thread his One for the Morning Glory as an excellent "standalone fantasy" that in 318 pages creates a well-detailed world with wit and multiple layers of satire and theme.

Mother of Storms may have been his widest read book, almost a mainstrean "disaster" novel about global climate change ahead of the curve in terms of the new global-warming, superstorm wannabes. I was disappointed, actually, but still consider it a worthwhile read.

A Million Open Doors and Earth Made of Glass explore a concept of a Thousand Cultures: "Humanity dwells in colonies (some natural and some artificial) spread over hundreds of planets that lost touch with each other for over a thousand years. Due to the invention of the springer, an instantaneous teleportation device, the worlds are communicating again." (Amazon.com review) Barnes has a great sense of humor and has fun with these concepts.

Orbital Resonance is a nifty "life in space" story, told from perspective of a thirteen-year-old girl on an asteroid mining colony. Again humor and well-thought-out details are Barnes' gifts to the reader.

Discuss?

Back