• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Bunyan: The Holy War

m*m

I am partial to authors from the past and I am on this John Bunyan kick right now. I just bought "The Holy War", which first appeared in 1682. I've read "Pilgrims Progress” twice and I am now just beginning "The Holy War".

John Bunyan fascinates me mainly because he was a man of principle and faith with limited formal education. Two of his books (Pilgrims Progress and The Holy War) are claimed to rate second and third only to the bible in the number of copies sold. (I wouldn't know where to look to verify this statistic, but it's claimed on the back of the books) In 1660 he was imprisoned in Bedford for nearly 12 years for refusing to stop his Baptist preaching while being persecuted after the restoration of Charles II. It was from prison that he published many of his acclaimed writings and I have discovered that much of what John Bunyan has written is now forgotten or lost.

I have, however, found an online archive of everything Bunyan. I hope to purchase the complete hardback version of Bunyan’s works that comes in volumes one, two and three. It was about $130.00 at Grapevine so I’ll have to wait a bit. I will finish what I have for now and save up for that one. In the meantime I have found that you can view all three volumes online at: http://www.johnbunyan.org .

I read the Pilgrim's Progress, I think because the girls in Little Women were reading it. It's one of those good experiences to have but I don't think I'll have another go. But I'm young yet.

I, too, love Bunyan, and I am most fond of his Pilgrim's Progress! I am also a huge Spurgeon reader, and he tends to quote from Pilgrim's Progress (and sometimes Holy War) quite a lot! Good stuff. I know that Banner of Truth publishes a few of his works that may be hard to find elsewhere...I believe their website is www.banneroftruth.org.

Back