• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Crowley: Little Big

Ell

June 2005 Book of the Month:

Book Description from Amazon.com

Little Big tells the epic story of Smoky Barnable -- an anonymous young man who meets and falls in love with Daily Alice Drinkwater, and goes to live with her in Edgewood, a place not found on any map. In an impossible mansion full of her relatives, who all seem to have ties to another world not far away, Smoky fathers a family and tries to learn what tale he has found himself in -- and how it is to end.

I read this quite a few years ago, I remember that I actually felt as if I had entered that weird altered not quite human world that intersected with the world of the unseen.
I swear I felt hypnotized by this book, and it took a long time to shake that feeling off.
My copy was damage to the point of not being readable, and ever since I have wanted to get a new copy.
I would love to read it during summer days that are not sunny but rainy, as to me that type of day captured the other worldlyness of this book.

vi

I envy you your response to the book--other people I know have felt very much the same way about it.

Me, not so much :(

I am a huge fan of alot of the more offbeat old Georgian and Victorian authors and their heirs, so I just couldn't get past John Crowley's writing, which to my ear (and eye) did not ring true. Some contemporary (to us, I mean) authors can pull off that sensibility--Joan Aiken, for instance, used to do it really admirably in her youth, I thought--and some can't.

But then JM Barrie was a gen-u-ine Victorian and he makes my ears and eyes bleed too.

I think I'm just becoming impossibly cranky in my old age :eek:

Funny, I just dusted this off and started reading it as I was having breakfast. Popped by this board right after and find a thread about it! Nice synchronicity. Alas, now I have to have the willpower to not glance at the thread again until I've finished reading the damned thing. A wee case of spoilerphobia and all that. Opening the book by quoting Chesterton was a quick way to make me like the author as well.

hi,

I just borrowed this book from the Library to read so that I can discuss it you you guys and all I can say is:

Wow! It's a BIG book! :D

Is this book worthwhile putting in the effort for?

I give a book a fair go before giving up on it, but I've stopped reading after only the third chapter. I just couldn't get into it, and the author had yet to introduce any plot for me to hold onto. Secondly, I was unfortunate enough to take a bad-print copy from the library, so that I was forced to stop every dozed pages or so due to sore eyes.

If people think its worth the perseverence, (and getting a readable copy of,) then I'll go pull another copy from the library.

I'm having a hard time getting into this book as well. It seems to drag quite a bit and then there will be some description I like and I'll get interested and then it just sort of drags again. Does it pick up at all or is it this slow and rambling the whole way? I was really looking forward to this story and I hope someone can tell me it will get better.

This is one of my all time favorite books. I re-read every few years. Each time I find something new in it and something to think about. John Crowley's writing is just beautiful. It will sweep you away. :)

Never read this but heard so much about it from everyone that I can't believe there are so few posts here!

steffee said:
Never read this but heard so much about it from everyone that I can't believe there are so few posts here!
From reading over the few posts above, it seems that the large length deterred some from reading/finishing it.

It's only 500 pages. For me that is the average amount of pages in the kind of books I read.

Back