• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Fowles: The French Lieutenant's Woman

M

member 737

I need help. I have to write a 15-page essay on The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles, but I cannot find any analyses of this novel. If anyone could give me any hints about what the author wanted to say, I would be very grateful.

Hah! When you find out, let me know. :rolleyes: If there is a book I disliked more, I cannot think of it at the moment. I have fairly successfully blocked out the story. :rolleyes:

Yes, I have read the book.

And yes, I've already tried to use sites Ions listed.

I am still confused.:confused:

Idun said:
Yes, I have read the book.

And yes, I've already tried to use sites Ions listed.

I am still confused.:confused:

Well, I have read the book too (and I just recently watched the movie), and I can't tell you what the author was trying to say either. Make up something obscure; you'll probably come as close as anybody can. :D

Like this:

"I think the author was trying to tell us that no matter what we do, our fates are the result of predestination"

Or:

"This author obviously believes in reincarnation, and he was trying to tell us that the simplest choices we make ultimately affect the outcomes of our lives."

I liked Fowles's The Magus better, and would like to reread it someday. Suggest that one to your teacher for next year!

:)

I wish I had watched the film, too. It would help me to organise all events in a sensible order.
What now comes to my mind is that the author shows which possibilities literature can give and in order to that he uses them excessively (endings, inserting himself as a character) and makes fun of Victorian society. Now I only have to elaborate on this on 15 pages. Lucky me.;)

any one read the french lieutenant's woman?

hi all,
i just finished the French lieutenant's woman.
anybody read that?
if somebody read it and understood it,please tell me what happened in the end?
what is the climax?
what are we supposed to understand about the protagonists, i.e their real nature, what is their state of mind in the end, what they decided to do after that final encounter?
please..................

actually from what little i understood,i can only hate that woman sarah.
her behavior is disgusting and i spent all the night thinking why it happened like that.
well, i didn't get any clue and all got is a terrible head ache.
now i'm very much afraid,if that kind of a woman can be real.
again, any one can explain the last chapter???

hey,
nobody understood the ending of the book the french lieutenant's woman???
but i terribly want to know the ending inspite of reading it.
cheers

Back