• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Irving: The World According To Garp

JillyBean

Hi. I just finished reading "The World According to Garp," by John Irving, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys imaginative stories. It's not your "realistic fiction" that so many novels are, but just a pure story from Irving's imagination. I would like to read another Irving novel, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good one?

Jill

Garp is the only one of his I've ever read and it was indeed an imaginative story. Lots of angst and human struggles. Some not so normal, but struggles nonetheless.

The World According to Garp is the only book by Irving I have read as well. I would like to read more by him though; I really did like Garp... If anyone has a suggestion, maybe we should make it book of the month sometime?

I enjoyed reading The World According to Garp. I readseveral others back in the '80s, but couldn't get into them. I havent' try anything of his since. I'm willing to get him another try.

Originally posted by lies
If anyone has a suggestion, maybe we should make it book of the month sometime?

I would like to read "A Prayer for Owen Meany." Perhaps we could make this the book of the month sometime. What do you think?

I think it's got my vote. I don't really know what it's about, but I've heard of it, so it's probably worth a try...

a prayer for owen meany has some of the funniest setpieces i've ever read. i challenge anyone not to laugh at the rehearsal for the nativity when owen gets overexcited. also the plot is tied together gradually through the book leading to a fantastic climax. the only slight annoyance is that whenever owen speaks HIS PARTS ARE IN CAPITALS. that apart it is one of my favourite reads.
i've also read the hotel new hampshire & wholly recommend either book :D

i challenge anyone not to laugh at the rehearsal for the nativity when owen gets overexcited.
Yes - Absolutely the most hilarious, laugh-out-loud scene I've read! I remember I was reading it in bed, trying to muffle my laughter, so as not to wake my dh - didn't help though - 'cause the bed was shaking so much. :D

You could also try 'The Cider House Rules' which along with 'Garp' and 'Owen Meany' were my favourites by Irving.

I recently tried his new one 'The Fourth Hand' and gave up after 50 or so pages. I just couldn't get on with it. It stretched reality too far for me. I felt he was trying too hard to be bizarre.

My favorite by Irving has always been "The Hotel New Hampshire." The movie sucked but the book was a hoot!

~Witch

I went through an Irving phase and read quite a few of his books, but Garp was my least favorite. I think the imagery of the accident and other things just disturbed me. I loved A Prayer for Owen Meany -- that's my favorite.

A Prayer For Owen Meany is one of my favorites. I also enjoyed Garp. The hotel New Hampshire is laugh out loud funny but The Fourth Hand was very disappointing.

Owen Meany is the only Irving I've read and I did laugh out loud as well. But the scene that did it to me was the description of a waterskiing mishap.
I have a bit more of a slapstick sense of humour though :)

Cider House Rules has been on my list for a long time but every now and then I come across a lukewarm review of it which turns me off.

Hotel New Hampshire....I remember seeing bits of the movie but don't remember much. Sounds like it's worth a read.

This thread had me convinced, so I went out and bought The World According to Garp and The Cider House Rules. Now if I ever fiind the time to read them I will contribute fully to what is written here. Thanks for the suggestions, and keep 'em coming.

Mxx

I am reading 'A Widow for One Year' at the moment. Will let you know when I finished it.

Kaz

Did you ever finish this book?

I haven't read any John Irving books and wondered about trying this as a starter.

Third Man Girl

Funnily enough, A Widow for One Year was the first John Irving book I read and I liked it enough to read practically all of his other books so I guess that is a good recommendation!

Having said that, I think Garp, Cider House Rules or A Prayer for Owen Meany might be a better introduction to his style.

I have only read Garp and loved it. Still waiting to read Cider House Rules, but as I read Garp in September last year I feel that I need to wait a little while in case the style is too 'samey' for me.

Mxx

I've read Garp and Owen Meany, and loved them both, though in completely different ways. Garp did disturb me for a bit, and it took me a while to take this disturbance as a positive comment on the book rather than a negative one. Owen Meany was just a quality read all the way through, and everything comes together wonderfully.

Any other opinions on The Cider House Rules?

Back