• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

John Steinbeck: Of Mice And Men

DamianJB

kickbox
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck is the last book I have read fully...
I was a little put out that I had watched the film before reading the book..
the film was excellent, showing the spirit and the plot of the book in a way that the author would have wanted...

The dramatic twist at the end was not anticipated while watching the film...
but as I read the book, I knew what was going to happen...

anyone who has not read any John Steinbeck, I recommend you start off with Of Mice and Men before tackling his other works...
you can see reviews of his books at http://www.bleachboys.com/caas/

I have mixed feelings about Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath, both very moving.

The Pearl - still leaving a bad taste in my mouth, and that was 7th grade.

I have Travels with Charley here - I'll get to it eventually.

Grapes of Wrath was my favourite book until recently...
when I first read it, it was just like watching a film, I could picture the characters so well, and was moved to many emotions like you are in the cinema...

I am told there is a film of GoW, and I must find it to view it...

have to disagree i think tortilla flats and cannery row are two of his most entertaiing reads, i would start with either of them, mice and men and grapes of wrath are great pieces of literature but are likely to put you off steinbeck, especially Gripes at wrath.

ksky

ps damien why not post reviews in our library?

I just finished <Of mice and men> from recommedation on the bookforum. It seemed that I fell into a dilemma. I kept asking myself, if I were George, would I shoot Lennie? Is there any possibility that George and Lennie can escape? Would George feel guilty aftering doing that, I mean, would he live in remorse? etc,etc,etc, :confused:

Would any of you like to share some of your thinking about this book with me? something like why you like this book? what impressed you? or what makes you think it is a great book? I am very curious about those.

THanks! :)

watercrystal said:
I just finished <Of mice and men> from recommedation on the bookforum. It seemed that I fell into a dilemma. I kept asking myself, if I were George, would I shoot Lennie? Is there any possibility that George and Lennie can escape? Would George feel guilty aftering doing that, I mean, would he live in remorse? etc,etc,etc, :confused:

Any of you would like to share some of your thinking about this book with me? something like why you like this book? what impressed you? or what makes you think it is a great book? I am very curious about those.

THanks! :)
Watercrystal, I think you answered your own question about what makes it a great book. It makes you think about all the issues you raised and more. And to me, a sign of a good book is that it makes me think long after the last page is turned.

It's good that you came away with all those questions because I think that was the author's intent. The moral dilemmas are what drives the story.

Ell

Ell said:
Watercrystal, I think you answered your own question about what makes it a great book. It makes you think about all the issues you raised and more. And to me, a sign of a good book is that it makes me think long after the last page is turned.

It's good that you came away with all those questions because I think that was the author's intent. The moral dilemmas are what drives the story.

Ell

bouquet11.jpg

Thank you, Ell. So---, there is no answere, then?? :confused: Because the more I thought about it, the more I was lost. Would you like to talk more about it, Ell, or any others? I am longing to know what others think about this book. Sometimes, I find it hard for me to live without an answer, though I know nothing should have an answere. well, It's just weird.

W-Crystal,

Here's a link to another discussion for Of Mice and Men

Maybe we could continue the discussion there?

Meanwhile,
to answer your question about George killing Lennie - with another question: If he didn't do it, what would have happened to Lennie and
would it have been any better?

Ell :)

Grapes of Wrath is definitely up there, but Of Mice and Men wins the accolade for the book that has made me emote the most-I cried when Lennie died...

Themistocles said:
Grapes of Wrath is definitely up there, but Of Mice and Men wins the accolade for the book that has made me emote the most-I cried when Lennie died...

What it is about Lennie that makes you cry? :confused:

I just finished reading this book on the recommemdation on this bookforum. After reading, I just fell into a kindof dilemma. I once talked a little in this thread: " I just finished reading....".

A couple of days later I got realized that my confusion and dilemma came from the following assumption, that I did not think George had the right to end Lennie's life. Unconsciously, I was judging his behavor. I had the hope that both of them can escape, they CAN! at least, there was a chance!

However, What I began to realize was that , we, either George or I, (if I were in his position, though i could choose another way instead of killing Lennie) are only humanbeings, we choose to do what we think we need todo. We always have our own choices, which depend on how we look at that situation. To George, he had his choice to do that, even if he could or would live in remorse later for shooting his friend, Lennie, he was doomed to take the responsibility of his behavor, and I don't know what could happen to him, 'cause the authour just stopped and left us with variety of thinking.

My point is that I cannot JUDGE his behavor! Everyone could do something different. This is what is on my mind after reading this book.

Well, after I put down this, I began to doubt whether it was because I only want to seek some easy way to avoid of facing with those more complicated feelings to this book. :rolleyes:

what do you think?! Will be glad to hear more opinion of it!! :)

I once posted in the thread" I just finished reading ", which should be put before the previous one, and which can shed light on how I changed my thinking to where I am now, ie from "negative opinion of George" to that " I don't think I can JUDGE George's killing of Lennie, his friend!"

[/COLOR]

Too000-- wordy. can't bear myself. :eek:

watercrystal said:
What it is about Lennie that makes you cry? :confused:

He was so innocent and never intended that anything bad should happen, shooting him is like killing a puppy that can't help itself, coupled with the fact that I was only 11 years old.

My take on the issue was that George had realised that although it might be possible for them to escape, all it would lead to would be the same situation in another area of the country, everywhere they go Lennie would always succeed in getting into some kind of trouble, and one day there would not be an escape route and the mob would catch him-George saw it as doing both Lennie and himself a kindness in the long run.

George had no choice. If you remember the foreshadowing earlier in the book of shooting the dog who could no longer help himself. Themistocles is right about George realizing that no matter where they went, the same thing would happen over and over. Lennie wasn't aware of what he was doing, so he didn't know how to stop. I think its all the more sad because George simply had no choice.

NO CHOICE AT ALL?? NO-----, :eek: <desparately >

I got to think more about it!! Maybe there is no answer at all??!! :confused:

Themistocles said:

i dont remember if i actually cried, but the ending was touching

spoiler warning: the following paragraph may spoil the book if you haven't read it yet.

I think the author frequently indicated Lennie is more like Candy's old dog rather than an independent human being.

1) When he wrote about Lennie's hands, he used "paws"
2) When Lennie drinks the water from stream, Lennie puts his whole head into the water, which is like how animal drinks
3) Lennie doesn't have much sense of morality, all he is worried about is he may do something wrong to make George angry or leave him. Though at the end of the book he showed a little struggle about whether he'll leave George and live in a cave or not, he still wants to rely on George, just like the dog loyally follows its owner.

And does anyone think it makes the action George takes to kill Lennie more reasonable, because George sees Lennie as something he needs to take care of, his belonging?

I don’t agree that Lennie should be killed and I feel so sorry for him. But I want to find some potential reasons make Lennie killed.

Back