• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Joyce Carol Oates: Beasts

Rogue

Yesterday I was looking through some favourite book lists at amazon and this book came up several times, so I peeked at the review and found this:
Amazon.com
Penzler Pick, January 2002: OK, OK. I know it looks like a conflict of interest, or favoritism, or nepotism, or some -ism or another that appears to be unethical. But it's not. Honestly.

Since I've been creating "Penzler's Picks" for Amazon.com I've never reviewed any of the books I've published under my imprint at Carroll & Graf--until now. I've been tempted many times, for the obvious reason that, if I like a book enough to publish it, I'd like it well enough to recommend it. But I've resisted for the reason noted above.

My affection for and admiration of Beasts, however, is so enormous that I just can't help myself. I've been an admirer of Joyce Carol Oates for longer than I care to admit. Indeed, I raved about Blonde in these pages long before it was nominated for a National Book Award (and should have won, in my opinion).

Beasts is a little jewel of a book, only 138 pages. Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea is a perfect gem, and so are Steinbeck's The Red Pony, and James Ellroy's Dick Contino's Blues, and Henry James's The Turn of the Screw; the short novel is capable of being one of an author's masterpieces. Short novels, or novellas, allow for the author to develop characters more fully than is possible in a short story, yet constrict them enough to maintain a single mood, or tone, throughout the entire book, which might easily become oppressive in a longer work.

Set in an apparently idyllic New England college town, Beasts is the story of Gillian Brauer, a student who falls in love with her professor, his Bohemian lifestyle, and anti-establishment attitudes, and what happens when she falls under his spell.

Knowing that other girls preceded her does not deter Gillian from becoming part of the household of Professor Harrow and his larger-than-life wife, Dorcas, the outrageous sculptress of shocking wooden totems. Drawn into their life, Gillian soon becomes a helpless pawn, a victim of her own passions and those of her mentors. Or does she? Sometimes even the most seemingly powerless prey can surprise a predator.

Savor every word of this little masterpiece, as it is unlikely that you will read anything to equal it for a long, long time.
It sounds really gorgeous.

So has anybody actually read this book and can tell me if it's worth buying?

So I have come to the conclusion that no member of the book forum has read this one. Very well, so I'll be the first to read this thing.

aimg353.imageshack.us_img353_2056_075285893903lzzzzzzz2zh.jpg

I just finished Beasts and it is brilliant.
Not in a long time have I read a book which contains such beautiful language. Oates is a genius when it comes to that.
The story itself is fascinating and takes your breath away. More is said by the things unmentioned than by the things spoken of.

The book is pretty short, but every word is well placed and Beasts really is a rare gem. More words would have spoiled the reader.

beasts.jpg

We are beasts and this is our consolation.
My boyfriend's mother (an Oates fan) borrowed this from the library. I was immediately drawn to the cover of the book. I've seen her read many books by Oates, this was the first one she recommended to me.
It was dark, mysterious, and lovely.
I'd been reading a lot of Dexter, King, and graphic novels. And I just found this to be refreshing.
This is my first Oates book. Her prose is lovely and her main character, complex.

I bought this book for 50 cents at a library book sale. I also bought several other books by Oates. I plan on reading another book by her very soon.

Back