• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Julie Otsuka: When The Emperor Was Divine

Scottishduffy

A short book, only about 140 pages and told in 5 chapter. Each chapter from a different view point. This is a story about the internment of Japanese amaericans during WW2. The book starts with the mothers' view as she is told to evacuate, the duaghters view on the train ride ro camp, the son speaks during the long stay in camp in the desert. The 4th chapter is the families return home after the war. The last chapter is from the father who was imprisoned in a seperate camp from his family for 4 years.

The book is a quick read and fairly good. I enjoyed it a lot. We never get the names of the character at any point. Though this is most likely the point as it helps the book to apply to anyone. The characters are basic and could really be any family at that time.

Scottishduffy
Sounds like something I want to add to my list. That was one of the most shameful chapters in our history. Not Fair doesn't begin to cover it. Fear. All because of unreasonable fear. Oh, and politics. :(

Back