• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Jurrasic Park

Well it certainly doesnt have the impact it once did - the idea has now been diluted by the numerous Hollywood films (not to mention a fair few copycats). I seem to remember that at the time it was first published (when i was young and easily pleased :p ) it was something very new and exciting!! :D

Phil

Timeline the movie is FINALLY out in the UK on Friday!! Guess who's going to see it on opening night ..... (okay, its me, not too difficult that one) :)

Phil

I haven't heard anything about this film. Who are in it, then?

Cheers, (a baffled) Martin :D

Erm..... Paul Walker .... you know, the bloke from the Fast and the Furious (the one who isnt Vin Diesel) .... and, erm .... no one else famous :confused: Well i didnt say it was going to be any good - just that it was finally out :D

Phil

Paul Walker... yippie!

And do not get me started on 'The Fast & The Furious' and it's ridiculously titled sequel '2 Fast 2 Furious'...:mad:

Cheers, (a rather disgruntled) Martin :D

Well, i saw it .... ahem - lets just say that it doesnt entirely follow the book very closely ..... or have any decent acting in it .... but still, it has got Anna Friel !!! :D Oh i guess it wasnt that bad, if you are a fan of the book go and see it just to see how not to adapt a book into a film :)

It did have a few good points, im just struggling to remember them ... perhaps if you havnt read the book then the story would be more enjoyable, but i guess i was just hoping for a bit more.

Phil :(

This raises an interesting question, which I've turned into a new thread.

Check it out, right here.

Oh, and might I add: mmm... Anna Friel...

Cheers, Martin :D

I've read timeline a few months ago and i really liked it,it's classic chrichton. I loved jurrassic park (the book) a lot and it is way better than the movie i also love the lost world (also loved the movie-jeff goldblum mmm......) i keep reading these two books over and over and over and just never seem to get tired of them. The science, the dinosaurs,the adventure it's all just sooo captivating. My favourite line from the lost world is when ian malcolm challenges richard lavigne as to the question of whether or not dinosours really exist and if they do where the proof of their existence is to which lavigne replies:"abence of proof is not proof of absence"

nick452 said:
I've read timeline a few months ago and i really liked,it's classic chrichton. I loved jurrassic park (the book) a lot and it is way better than the movie i also love the lost world (also loved the movie-jeff goldblum mmm......) i keep reading these two books over and over and over and just never seem to get tired of them. The science, the dinosaurs,the adventure it's all just sooo captivating. My favourite line from the lost world is when ian malcolm challenges richard lavigne as to the question of whether or not dinosours really exist and if they do where the proof of their existence is to which lavigne replies:"abence of proof is not proof of absence"

The story is interesting, and the books are much better than the movies, but the science is off. Its not (as of now) possible to do the science required in the book to make dinosaurs. An interesting, if elementary, read is The Science of Jurassic Park & The Lost World, if you know much about genetics then this book is probably too general, but if you're interested in learning more about the processes described by Chricton its an interesting read.

Stephen said:
I thought the film was great, but I've heard the book is much better, so I've picked up a copy of Jurrasic Park and Congo from The Works bookshop for only £1.99, for 2 books.
My sister used to have the book but she got rid of it I think *Cries*

What I really enjoy about Crichton's books isn't his science but his commentary on scientists, academia, and the politics of research. On that, he's probably closer to the mark and that's what is absolutely chilling about his stories: man's arrogance before nature is astonishing.

What I found very interesting "unconscious" thread throught the two JP books is the discussion of extinction and the presence of broken family children in both books. In the past thirty years, the family unit has been seriously damaged ... could it point to a future extinction event involving mankind?

O

Back