• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Just a quick short story

LaGs

Hi, I'm new to this site, but I have strong aspirations of becoming a writer. I have never studied English language or English literature beyond the compulsory level. Although I do read a lot. I figure now at my age, if i make all the mistakes now, I may over time, become much better. I'm 20 years old.

I just wrote this earlier this morning. Tear it apart if you wish. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

I wake up randomly in the middle of the night, awoken by a recurring dream that has some substance in reality. I know what it’s about, I’ve thought about it extensively, but it still won’t go away. A sexual encounter with a girl I now know to be a bi-polar psycho with a dangerous boyfriend. He’s after me apparently. I’m now public enemy number 1. We hung about in the same circle of friends, although I would not go as far to say he constitutes a friend. He was a mere acquaintance. Come to think of it, they were all acquaintances. For a few months you could say I was under the illusion that one or two of them amounted to more than that. Where are they now? No where to be seen. Not one of them has even phoned me to see how I am, or ask what the craic is. Nothing. One did phone me to tell me the news that everybody ‘knows’. Thanks for the heads up I say.

I’m not feeling self-pity, far from it. It is my naivety and stupidity for thinking they were close friends. The sudden way in which I have been ostracised has caused a sudden realisation in me for what it really was. A short episode in which I was drawn to them by their partying attitude; the long weekend drug binges, the weekday drug binges which was facilitated through the inactivity of the summer holidays. What I justified as their liberal, care-free attitudes masks the reality of what they are. Delinquents. Delinquents with little or no future, and in my time with them I’ve done as much damage to my future in the space of six months than I could have ever imagined. It is my stupidity on all levels.

In no way can I blame anybody else. I am responsible for my actions, both about the girl in question and with my association with this group of people. I was stupid to even go near that girl, although in fairness my actions are mitigated by the fact that I was lied to. Oh she is no longer with him, she says. They have broken up. In the earlier part of that unfortunate night, her mildly flirtatious manner struck me as her casual friendliness. As the night wore on, this became more intense. Sitting on the couch with a few others to my absolute surprise I felt her groping me clandestinely under her jacket which she had placed over her own legs. What the ****? In my drunken and drug-fuelled state I felt quite aroused. She always had a notorious sexual reputation but now I was feeling it at first hand. She knew what she was doing, and there was no doubt that she was good at it.

People fell asleep and she pounced. Me, like a stupid ****, reacted. I asked her was it even right to be doing this, she told me to shut up. Even though I never really considered her so-called ex-boyfriend a ‘friend’ of mine, I still felt a minor sense of betrayal which wasn’t fully realised until the next morning when I woke up, sober. This is when anxiety usually unleashes its’ full force on me over trivial events which wouldn’t cause other people a second thought. Some people say I over-analyze, perhaps I do. I reasoned when my mind was clear that this was a stupid mistake best kept quiet and left behind; that everybody makes mistakes, and so on.

The next day I find out that they are a couple again. I let out a silent groan, and the anxiety strikes me in the chest like the thrust of a knife. Still I try to forget it. A couple of weeks later when I was at a party with some ‘friends’, a girl remarked to me in a matter-of-factly kind of way that I was used to get back at her boyfriend. This worried me on two levels: It means first that a lot more people than I anticipated know about it. She has obviously been talking to different people. Quite openly in fact I was to find out. As yet, she hasn’t told her boyfriend. He must be the only one.

Second, I was used? That fucking bitch. In a funny kind of way I felt violated, the way a man might feel violated when he has lost his dignity during a prostate exam in the doctor’s office. I was more disappointed in myself though. How the **** did I not see this? I consider myself maybe someone of average enough intelligence not to have fallen foul of a despicable and obvious display of sexuality with sinister intentions.

It’s okay though, I can still put it behind me. Some time later when I have largely forgotten about it I get a phone call. It’s from my friend. I thought he was just phoning me to see what my plans were for the weekend. He has other news. The boy knows. She has told his sister, and invariably his sister has told the rest of his family. Panic hits me. There is more. The girl is pregnant, I am told. About three months. I felt on the verge of a panic attack. I get off the phone, my mind racing. I think back to that night. Did I wear protection? No, ****. I try and work out when I was with this girl. It is quite plausible that I am the father, but I don’t tell anyone. I deny it to myself. I can’t be a father, that’s ridiculous and absurd.

I go to my mother’s bedroom and steal some valium to calm the anxiety. It does help, although when I think of the whole episode instinctively a wave of worry comes over me. I am paranoid, significantly so. I’m lying in my bedroom trying not to let it get to me, but I keep getting premonitions of two or more men bursting into my room to give me a severe beating. I cannot escape the thought. It’s an overwhelming fear. The weird thing is I don’t have much to fear from the person who has the most legitimate reason to be after me. I have been in fights before; I know how to fight, in a way. I could quite feasibly handle myself against this person.

But in any fights that I have been involved in, in the past I have felt a strong sense of anger, anger in the moment and a feeling of being aggrieved which gives me the capacity and motivation to fight. This is not the case now. I have wronged someone, I am at fault. I have no anger towards him. He must feel completely different, the anger bubbling away inside him. I’m told that the two of them are in a stronger relationship than ever, the bond unbreakable. He must be convinced that he is the father, which he probably is if truth be told, and that has strengthened his commitment towards her.

She must have dumped the whole thing on me. It was me who came onto her. She resisted my advances for a time. The important thing to know is that it was me who was the instigator. In her drunken state she capitulated. She is very sorry, but there were misdemeanours from both of them, they know that now. Their relationship is a flawed one but a strong one. The ironic thing is that the full extent of their misdemeanours would be unknown to both of them, each as numerous as the other.

I can picture the two of them deep in arbitration, both agreeing that these latest mishaps could be cancelled out. Their love and what they have is too strong to let slip away. In the back of each of their minds they both are playing a childish game of relationship espionage, on the surface they reason, and consider the fate of the baby. What they are doing is the right thing. I wonder do they consider the jealousy which will characterise their relationship in the following years, should it last that long. What a load of fucking bullshit.

The whole thing is a farce. The two of them can continue to play their happy-couple game, whereas I have been ostracised, left with my own irrational speculation, my own paranoia and my own anxiety. I am the scapegoat, the way in politics the tabloid newspapers demonise a certain individual to serve a particular political interest. I am left with my personal demons, and with the added pressure of the moral majority on my back, I wonder where I go from here, and whether it will ever end.

Sorry, I have no useful information to offer but this made me chuckle.
I felt her groping me clandestinely under her jacket which she had placed over her own legs. / She always had a notorious sexual reputation but now I was feeling it at first hand.

You have amazingly strong writing! I'm very impressed. So far the theme of your story strikes me...it's not often that I find someone advocating for the 'nice guy' who falls short despite his better judgement. I think this story has tons of potential! What direction are you going with it?

"The next day I find out that they are a couple again."

I take this as an example. One piece of advice that helped me very much, was when someone told me I should not 'tell' the story, but 'show' it. Don't just tell that you found this out, but exactly HOW did you find this out. Invent some characters, insert a dialogue, let him have some friend that tells him this or something. Make us, the reader, feel he is part of the world. It makes the story more believeable.

The same goes for the, I assume, party earlier in the story. Who hosts it? What is the atmosphere (dark? smokey? bright? loud music?) etcetera.

Anyway, just a tip that worked for me.

Hope it helps.

Marcel

You have amazingly strong writing! I'm very impressed. So far the theme of your story strikes me...it's not often that I find someone advocating for the 'nice guy' who falls short despite his better judgement. I think this story has tons of potential! What direction are you going with it?

No direction at all, i was just messing around a bit earlier to see what i could come up with! But thanks!

"The next day I find out that they are a couple again."

I take this as an example. One piece of advice that helped me very much, was when someone told me I should not 'tell' the story, but 'show' it. Don't just tell that you found this out, but exactly HOW did you find this out. Invent some characters, insert a dialogue, let him have some friend that tells him this or something. Make us, the reader, feel he is part of the world. It makes the story more believeable.

The same goes for the, I assume, party earlier in the story. Who hosts it? What is the atmosphere (dark? smokey? bright? loud music?) etcetera.

Anyway, just a tip that worked for me.

Hope it helps.

Marcel

Really appreciate this comment, ill take your advice on board :)

Here's a bit of an extract from a short story i've been working on today, hope you like it!

It doesn’t take much for him to get embarrassed. He’s standing at the counter of his local university bookstore, after waiting in line for almost forty five minutes. He attempts to pay for his books using his standard-issue student card, thinking he has over one hundred pounds to spend from his annual bursary. He is obviously mistaken. The haggard-looking woman behind the counter tells him without any apparent sympathy that he has only one pound thirty two pence on his card. She just looks at the young man, disregarding the huge line that is already behind him. The bookstore is quiet. His face flushes a strong crimson, and a feeling of dread comes over him.

‘Oh I thought I had more than that, I’ll just go and get some money and I’ll be back in two minutes’ he splutters out quickly.

Feeling ridiculous, he sets his books on the counter and walks outside, a bank machine immediately around the corner. The cost of his books is likely to be over ninety pounds for the one semester. As he takes the money out he flippantly thinks an education most definitely doesn’t come for free; if he were born twenty years ago he would not be at university, his family simply could not afford it. He can’t help feeling the balance is still weighed in favour of the privileged.

He goes back to the shop. The line has grown significantly. He is too introverted to just brashly walk to the front of the line and pay for his books, as he feels it would only cause him further embarrassment. He goes to the back of the line, cursing the shitty beginning to his day.

It is only a five minute walk back to his house. The pavements along the way are cracked, almost every slab in deterioration. There have been many days when not paying attention he has stumbled over them, often just as an attractive-looking young girl is passing the opposite way. It’s almost like his sole purpose in life was to be continually embarrassed.

During his regular periods of self-assessment he acknowledges that he is overly self-conscious. It’s not as if his socially-awkward way is a state of affairs of his own choosing. He, like anybody, wants to be the person with a natural air of confidence; the person who is at ease with strange people, the one who can seamlessly find common ground with uncommon people. Instead he fidgets a lot, says the wrong things at the wrong time gauged on what he thought was the ‘right’ thing to say. In all, he’s just a bit fucked up.

On his way back, he passes a down beat homeless man, probably in his early thirties. He is swarthy, most likely a Romanian immigrant. His clothes are old and dirty. He is playing some kind of weird brass instrument, but he doesn’t know what it is. The poor man cannot play it, he obviously doesn’t know how to. A wave of shame passes over him. He has passed this man everyday this week at the same spot, and on his way back home, he remains there. It’s like a nine to five shift, begging for scraps of change.

He was dripping with ignorance as he passed this man everyday, as if he did not exist. As if he was invisible. Today he walked past him with his expensive school text-books in hand, books that in the past he would have little intention of reading. He was interminably feeling sorry for himself, lamenting the fact that he was not a confident extrovert. It was only now that he saw the horrible contradiction in his mind set. Had he ever stopped to think what it is like living the life of this man? People forever walking past him in ignorance, avoiding eye contact with him in case his eyes met theirs and discovered the greed and selfishness that characterized their souls. It was likely this man had a family somewhere. He had travelled to Ireland presumably in the hope of a better life and this is where he found himself. The likely hardships this man endured in his own country were probably one hundred-fold to his own. His petty internal ramblings paled into insignificance to what was before him.

He does feel ashamed of himself and so he should. He reaches into his pocket and gives the man a fiver. The man is actually very surprised, but thanks him nevertheless. He reasons to himself that perhaps it was time he had started showing a bit of gratitude for the position that he found himself in. He has opportunities and options, this poor man doesn’t. For any change given to the homeless man, no matter how small, he thanks people sincerely. He had just taken out of his bank, albeit with government money, over ninety pounds to pay for his education. He should be thankful for that at least.

When he gets home he has injected a bit of enthusiasm into himself. His house is messy like any student house in the surrounding area. Chinese cartons lay scattered around the living room; there are beer bottles on the coffee table, and a couple of old newspapers from the preceding weeks. He sits down on the couch after having made a cup of tea and opens his text-book. The mess does not bother him. He spends almost two hours doing the required reading for this week’s course. From now on he will work that bit harder. He sincerely felt he had a new outlook, and he prayed it stayed that way.

'He does feel ashamed of himself and so he should.'

A good piece of writing. First we meet the lamenting young student and then the contradiction in the Romanian immigrant. Not bad.

Do keep the author off the page, though, especially when writing in the third person. You, as a human being, have your own opinions and all, but they have no place in a story. We should know the character's opinion. The fact that the student feels ashamed of himself is all we need to know. The fact that he should is something for us, the reader, to decide.

Especially when, one day, you find yourself describing a character that is wildly different from yourself (an elderly, biggoted crouch or something), it is important to use his words and describe his outlook on life. Keep yourself in the background.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Regards,

Marcel

Back